Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Dark Fall: Lost Souls
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
Dark Fall: Lost Souls

Hello Guys, I have found a new horror game looked like our Amnesia.
It seemed to be a remake of Amnesia, watch the trailer here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ4ZpBi1U...re=related

or visit the official homepage...
http://www.darkfallgames.com/
10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Find
Crypt Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Dark Fall: Lost Souls

this feels like advertisement
10-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Considering it came out about a year before Amnesia I doubt it would be a remake. I picked it up one day and have it sitting on my hard drive. I haven't played it at all since.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

As I see it here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfb2uJHeaCc

...in the game are sounds from Penumbra.
You remember the foot steps of Philip on the woodern floor in storage room in Overture?
10-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Okay, someone copied some sounds for a small part of the game.

Still, it came out a year before and by no means takes place in the nineteenth century. It is not a remake of Amnesia.

10-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Website Find
Guyra Offline

Threads: 2

First off, regarding the sound, it might be that the songs are just very similar, or it might be that they've both used the same free or commercial sound effects provider for some sounds, something which is very common in indie game production. The developers often don't have decent enough sound equipment, the skills to use it, or the money to hire someone to do it for them, so they rely on providers who sell or give away sound effects they've made, which in turn ends up being in several games. (You've also got the same stuff for music, textures, 3D-models, and whatever else you could possibly think of having need for. It's all over the place.) But still, as I said first, the sounds just might be very similar. That is also something that happens. A lot. And even if some sound files were copied from Penumbra, it's a pretty big leap to get to the conclusion that Dark Fall is a remake of Amnesia...

Now, for the game itself, it's not even close to being anything near Amnesia:
- The Dark Descent. There's a couple of hundred years(or something) between the settings.
- Amnesia is 3D while Dark Fall is 2D(prerendered 3D), Amnesia.
- Amnesia is about an amnesiac out for revenge, Dark Fall is about a drunkard PI trying to solve the mystery of the death/disappearance of a girl who, amongst others, haunts the area(and him).
- Amnesia bases most of it's puzzles on physics, Dark Fall has a couple of puzzles with parts that are "physics based-ish".
- Amnesia's story is based on Lovecraftian horror, Dark Fall is more standard "ghost story".
- Amnesia is more gameplay and immersion based than Dark Fall, the latter is more puzzle and story driven.

I have played through both Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Dark Fall: Lost Souls, and I recommend both as good horror games with some emphasis on puzzles. However, the only similarities between the games are that they are horror games, and they contain puzzles. There's just as many(if not more) similarities between Amnesia and Doom 3. (If it isn't obvious enough: Between them, they're both horror games, they're both 3D and first person, they both deal with enemies that are flesh, there's probably something in Doom 3 that'll qualify as a puzzle, and I'm also quite certain that you could find some kind of sound that's pretty similar in both games.)

Also, just because it irritates me(and this might be slightly trolling, but what the f), what do you mean "our Amnesia"? There's as much "our Amnesia" as it's "our Halflife", or "our Playboy Mansion". You make it sound like we're some tight knitted gang of over zealous cultists who either go "this is blasphemy to OUR Lord Amnesia" or "this is made in OUR Lord Amnesia's image, and so it belongs to Him!" Just because we're members of Frictional Games' official forum, and fans of one of their games, doesn't turn us into one big, chummy bunch with a hive mind. It's not "our" Amnesia. It's Frictional Games' Amnesia. It's everyone who bought(or otherwise legally got) the game's Amnesia.

Also, some part of this whole annoyance comes from the fact that the opening post is so strikingly advertisement like, as Crypt also pointed out. If you like a game, how about making a post in the right section of the forum and just say, "check out this horror game I discovered, I think you'll like it because blah, blah, blah"? People would appreciate and respect it more.
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

meh , DF: Lost Souls is a point and click game ...

Closest game that can compare to Amnesia is imo Dark Lineage Darkness within 2 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NnpfUcob...re=related
10-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Website Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

(10-02-2010, 03:10 AM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: meh , DF: Lost Souls is a point and click game ...

Closest game that can compare to Amnesia is imo Dark Lineage Darkness within 2 :

Which happens to be a point and click game.

Now I don't see anything wrong with it being a point and click game. Myst is a point and click game. It's just that DW2 is not as good as Amnesia in any way at all.

At least, not in the demo. From what I played, the atmosphere was cheap, there were no actual frightening suspense/confrontation moments, the puzzles were simple pixel-hunting bullshit, the writing was poor and at times boring, and the lighting was at times messed up. And perhaps I may have just been thick, but I also think my inventory wasn't working correctly. Etc etc you know the drill. Move along.

10-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Website Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

(10-02-2010, 05:05 AM)Lee Wrote:
(10-02-2010, 03:10 AM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: meh , DF: Lost Souls is a point and click game ...

Which happens to be a point and click game.

Now I don't see anything wrong with it being a point and click game. Myst is a point and click game. It's just that DW2 is not as good as Amnesia in any way at all.

At least, not in the demo. From what I played, the atmosphere was cheap, there were no actual frightening suspense/confrontation moments, the puzzles were simple pixel-hunting bullshit, the writing was poor and at times boring, and the lighting was at times messed up. And perhaps I may have just been thick, but I also think my inventory wasn't working correctly. Etc etc you know the drill. Move along.

huh ?

The first Darkness Within(Pursuit for Loath Nolder) is a point and click(more static gameplay) , NOT the second one ....

Look at the difference:

Darkness Within In Pursuit for Loath Nolder :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lvd4MK7Sqk

Darkness Within 2 The Dark Lineage (full interactive gameplay where you can run/jump/crouch,etc ... just like in Amnesia Wink ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjupTHkTeQk

btw . Here"S an outtake from a review of the second installment about the point and click thingy :

" The original Darkness Within was a point-and- click adventure game played from a first-person perspective. Moving the mouse changed the direction Howard was facing. It was not possible to move freely through the environment. Instead, the locations were divided into nodes. Players navigated between the nodes using the mouse and interacted with various objects. This system has been discarded in Darkness Within 2. "
10-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Website Find
dbfuru Offline

Threads: 1

I found the puzzles in Dark Fall: Lost Souls really obscure, and as said before a bit too like pixel hunting. At one part, you need to click the corner of a chair cushion to find a coin, to use to dial a number. I found myself using a walkthrough for a lot of it just so I could continue.

It might have just been me, though. I just couldn't figure a lot of it out, it was just too obscure to figure out. Most of the scare comes from jump scares with loud, sudden violin hits, and a ghost appearing for a split second. In my opinion it's not like Amnesia at all.

If I could figure out the damn puzzles myself I'd probably enjoy it.
10-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Find