Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Idea: Hardcore Amnesia
Nargacuga Offline

Threads: 1
Idea: Hardcore Amnesia

Hello all!
I just had an idea to make a Harcore Amnesia, or by other words, the Amnesia's story mode edited to be "Very Hard".
I will probably start the development for this custom story, but I don't know if I am allowed to edit the original maps.
Also, if anyone is willing to make this idea possible, go ahead and do it!
I think it would be very interesting to see the same story, but with a bigger difficulty, for example, more zombies, more unsettling events, less items, less light.

Hope you like this idea.
I will announce if I start the development for this.

Thank you,
Nargacuga
10-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Find
Datashocker Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Idea: Hardcore Amnesia

Ah shite, wasn't the original game scary enough as it is? Fine, I'll go and get my brown boxers.

The girlish scream that Daniel puts forth as he sees a disturbing event is enough to make my day.
10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

* Game begins and Daniel wakes up, he walks out of the room and 100 brutes come and you have to run away from them *

Hardcore Amnesia man.
10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Find
harlequ1n Offline

Threads: 3

But what I got from this game is that it's way more frightening to "believe" there is something lurking in the shadows about to attack you than have a thousand monsters giving chase of you. Most of the time while playing the game I felt terrorised by the unsettling sounds and cries around that were just there to play with my mind.

In the end I guess it's scarier to anticipate danger than to actually face it.

no gods or kings, only man
10-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

(10-04-2010, 10:56 PM)harlequ1n Wrote: In the end I guess it's scarier to anticipate danger than to actually face it.

Aye, else you can just call your custom story 'Doom 3'.
10-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

As long as the monsters aren't camping the spawn the entire time, I'm for it.
10-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Find
Nargacuga Offline

Threads: 1

(10-04-2010, 07:49 PM)Datashocker Wrote: Ah shite, wasn't the original game scary enough as it is? Fine, I'll go and get my brown boxers.

haha I guess you could call Amnesia "Alt+F4 Scary"
10-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Find
turk Offline

Threads: 0

You can always increase the cost of failure and the likelyhood of it without increasing the number of beasties and such. Simply tuning it to require quicker reactions would increase the amount of stress on a player considerably. To have to be able to react within a split second or die is incredibly stressful (and if done poorly potentially incredibly frustrating) for extended periods of non-activity. The more arbitrary something is as well the more difficult it becomes. Take this into consideration also.

False danger is one route you could take, pressuring the player into real danger. Or real danger pressuring the player into false (yet seemingly real) danger. To mix instances of expected (yet non-existent) failure and actual failure appropriately and arbitrarily enough creates indecision and difficulty.

Simply removing light from the beginning also would probably result in lesser results (I believe) than removing it when the player would typically require it, creating pressure to play defensively (hence difficulty) because of inherent unpredictability. That light you planned to use, is now gone, so you'd better hope you have a backup plan.

EDIT: Another thought perhaps would be to alter the door mechanic. Stuck doors that require shaking could be very frightening as you may spend 5 seconds shaking a door to try and knock it open only to find that it simply wont budge. At the same time you could do it and find that it does, providing your much needed respite.

Reducing the vision and audio would also make the game more difficult (and possibly frigtening) as you would be running around virtually blind. Simply reducing the overt signs of danger is a way to increase difficulty.
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Find
Mina Darsh Offline

Threads: 24

I'm also hoping for something like this, simply feeling exposed to danger while there isn't, hallucinations of monsters might work extremely well. But perhaps also false sound, but not necesseraly screams, but more like, actual monster sounds, but you cannot see where it is. But, when going for this kind in full, it would ruin the game if the player knew he could just pass through with the thought: "Just go, nothing will kill me." So perhaps some real monsters are required.

Heh, imagine that, like a dozen of false encounters, and after like the tenth, the player will be like: "Yeah yeah, been there, done that..." And then the monster hits him for real, and the player would be like: "Oh snap, this one's real!... Run!"
10-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

I would like seeing a more scary Amnesia, except I havn't even finished it yet... Big Grin

I just can't handle it! Doom 3 and Dead Space you could actually shoot the monsters, except in this game, you just run and hide as if you are completely defensless and useless (you are Big Grin)!

10-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Find