Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Won't load extra_english.lang
graykin Offline

Threads: 12
Won't load extra_english.lang

I ran into a few problems when testing out an actual Custom Story that I made. For one, according to the hpl.log, it apparently is unable to load my extra_english.lang file:

ERROR: Couldn't load language file 'custom_stories/test/extra_english.lang'

The file is located there, there's no syntax problem, I have no idea why it can't load it. But that's not even the strangest thing that's happening to me.

Okay, for some reason, whenever I save a map file inside the "redist" folder, it will not actually appear when I search for it in my Windows Explorer, but when I look for it when I'm loading the map in the level editor, it appears just fine.

So since I cannot find the .map in my Windows Explorer, I can't delete it. What I attempted to do, to work around this oddity, was to delete the folder that the .map was located in (preserving anything that I DIDN'T want to delete). So I did just that, and I remade the folder with the same name and pasted all of the essential files back into it.

When I go back into the folder through the level editor explorer, THE FILE IS BACK, and I CAN LOAD IT!!!!! It never got deleted...apparently...but...but...how? Huh

What on earth is going on!? Does anyone have any clue as to what my problem is? How do I exorcise this phantom from my computer?

Could it be, in any way possible, that what is happening with my extra_english.lang is also causing this problem?

09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Won't load extra_english.lang

Did you accidentally hide it?

Go to Tools > Folder options > View > And find something about showing hidden files.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Find
graykin Offline

Threads: 12

Nope, I double-checked that and none of the files are hidden. My mind is boggled by the whole thing.

I'm not sure if this helps to determine the problem or not, but I cannot save the .hps or .lang files in the redist either (it tells me it cannot find the directory), but have to save them on my desktop, and then copy them into the custom_stories/test/ folder.

09-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Find
shiznit304 Offline

Threads: 1

I have all your symptoms too. won't load extra_english.lang and the directories of windows explorer and level editor are mixed up.
I am using Windows 7. I will try to run amnesia in administrator mode this time.
10-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Find
Chilton Offline

Threads: 9

I had this issue just recently - I found that id misnamed an item with another item, and it didnt like that too much. Also, CHECK YOUR BRACKETS! You have no idea how easy it can be to confuse a { from a } under the right conditions.

Failing that, just keep tinkering with it, and confirming all its seperate functions
10-10-2010, 03:07 AM
Find
shiznit304 Offline

Threads: 1

Big Grin
i finally figured it out why my extra_english.lang was being all mad.
<LANGUAGE>
    <RESOURCES>
    </RESOURCES>
    <CATEGORY Name="CustomStoryMain">
        <Entry Name="Description">This is a test story.</Entry>
    </CATEGORY>
    <CATEGORY Name="Inventory">
        <Entry Name="ItemName_keydoor1">Exit Key</Entry>
        <Entry Name="ItemDesc_keydoor1">This key is to open the door near you.</Entry>
    </CATEGORY>
</LANGAUGE>

I misspelled LANGUAGE with LANGAUGE.

My Custom Story works now. Thanks.
10-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Find