Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decals/Custom Models
Hypercube Offline

Threads: 20
Decals/Custom Models

I've already made a thread about asking for help with a First Aid Kit, but there's something else that would be nice to have in this. Since my mod takes place in the Aries Research Facility on Mars, I need a model of the Aries zodiac symbol, similar to the theta symbol placed on the wall in the theta labs level of SOMA, except in the shape of the Aries zodiac symbol. And also, it would be nice as well to have a decal that says Aries Research Station with maybe a rectangle enclosing the words or something. Anyway I just need a few things to represent that my map takes place in the research station, and not on Pathos-II? It would also be even better to have a white aries symbol to be displayed as gui on a terminal, like how you can put a greek symbol for one of the sites in Pathos-II in the bottom right corner of the screen. Anyways thanks if you can help, i'll be sure to add you in credits for custom material made, either I can use your first and last name or your account name.
06-21-2016, 05:57 AM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Decals/Custom Models

I think I can take care for 3D model Smile

This forum is dead
06-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22

Here's the logo: https://mega.co.nz/#!qFYHALob!GFcmXZprpS...U-IuaMNOwI

The vector file for the logo is also included in the zip.

[Image: tYu3w1z.jpg]
06-21-2016, 06:47 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

How did you do that? Big Grin
06-21-2016, 06:56 PM
Find
Abion47 Offline

I created the base Aries icon in Illustrator, then traced out the Pathos II graphic around it. Then I imported it into Photoshop, textured it up, and generated a normal map using NVidia's DDS plugin (specular map was just the same image as the diffuse with the saturation levels tweaked). Once I had the graphics, I created a SOMA material in the material editor copying settings from the other signs.

The one on the left is the default white icon. The one on the right is the same with a red diffuse multiplier applied in the Level Editor.
06-21-2016, 10:05 PM
Find
Hypercube Offline

(06-21-2016, 06:47 PM)Abion47 Wrote: Here's the logo: https://mega.co.nz/#!qFYHALob!GFcmXZprpS...U-IuaMNOwI

The vector file for the logo is also included in the zip.

[Image: tYu3w1z.jpg]
looks great and all, but how exactly do I implement this into my mod, should I just make a decals folder in my assets folder? I should probably put it into the main decals folder for soma that I choose because that's the only way to get it into the level editor, but will it show up properly for other people who download the mod?
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2016, 12:35 AM by Hypercube.)
06-22-2016, 12:27 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

For development, you should drop the files inside SOMA's decals folder (I had it in textures/decals/signs), and for release, you should create a decals folder inside your mod folder and add it to your mod's resources file.
06-22-2016, 12:50 AM
Find
Hypercube Offline

(06-22-2016, 12:50 AM)Abion47 Wrote: For development, you should drop the files inside SOMA's decals folder (I had it in textures/decals/signs), and for release, you should create a decals folder inside your mod folder and add it to your mod's resources file.

Well for now, I currently made a "custom" folder inside other main folders like music or entities so that I can keep it specific enough. But, would it work to just make a decals folder inside the assets folder for my mod, because if I have assets already in my mod's resources file wouldn't it work?
06-22-2016, 01:23 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

It would work that way, sure, but it's a good idea to keep your assets organized. I mean, technically speaking, you could put all your mod files into a single folder.
06-22-2016, 01:47 AM
Find
Hypercube Offline

(06-22-2016, 01:47 AM)Abion47 Wrote: It would work that way, sure, but it's a good idea to keep your assets organized. I mean, technically speaking, you could put all your mod files into a single folder.

Well i would be keeping it organized because I have all of the custom content in the assets folder so I know where I'm keeping anything custom made, and then I just put folders inside of that specifying which type of content it is. also, I told TheDoctorPoo this, and it also happened when I tried to make it myself, but the gui logo appears as just a blank white square on the terminal screen in the corner of it. I feel like I am doing something wrong, is it okay to just put the file inside the greeksymbols folder because that's where all of the logo gui are located, and I type "aries_logo" into the StationGuiBG_Taskbar but it doesn't show the symbol, just a black white square like I said. Have you encountered an issue like this?
06-22-2016, 02:09 AM
Find