Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experiences in HPL3
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63
Experiences in HPL3

I know I'm late to the 'Reasons Why SOMA's Modding Is OK, Not Great But Passable' party so I'll just spend some time writing my thoughts here:

The very first map I ever made in HPL3 was a catwalk with a giant dome and a flesher enemy with no nodes. Simple but really fun. I messed around with a box light and made everything red. This was before I even completed the game. After that I knew I wanted to make something. A mod. I tried to think up of an extremely simple idea. Something even a 12 year old Amnesia Pewdie modder could do. Robos chasing you around a map for three minutes. Short and great for replay value. It would be easy to make a level/script module and I just need to make the maps (the one part about modding I'm really good at).After two month I made the basics of the first map: a reception to walk around, talk and go to different maps.

I was really happy with it, the detail rivaled even the most detailed Amnesia maps. Then 2016 came and made it into a slog and a chore.

I couldn't use the level editor in SOMA as efficiently as I could with the level editor in Amnesia.I felt like I was slowly beginning to lose that spark that started in October. The spark that let me make the reception. I felt like all my work was for naught and I gave up. I went to new engines, got into music making and other activities. I gave up reviewing SOMA mods as they were usually basic 'Terry Akers' maps that could be completed in 10 minutes. This has never happened to me before. At least not to this extent. I load up the mod every now and then, add a few things and leave it for another three weeks. I don't have the heart to update ModDB anymore.

I can say for certain I will complete it, just not this summer or even this year if it gets worse. Undecided
06-27-2016, 07:47 PM
Find
Hypercube Offline

Threads: 20
RE: Experiences in HPL3

So, I'm confused. You said that things got worse in 2016? How did things get worse exactly? Was there some level editor update I was unaware about or something? Either way, I know exactly what you mean, though.

Making a mod is a lot of work, especially to get all the details and planning how your map will look like. My mod "The Experiment" had no plans for it at all, but I am just going with what I can make which is hard because I have to brainstorm what all of these different puzzles will be and how they will connect. Other than that I see how it could be like a chore, I often take a break from modding a lot, too.

I can also see how you would want to stop reviewing as well for all of these short maps (considering you reviewed mine "BLACKOUT"). But the only thing to realize is that people aren't always just trying to go with the flow of things, and rather just trying to start out somewhere to get the hang of things, at least that's what I did. (I was really curious though why my mod was blowing up on the workshop, but I'm assuming it's because of the aesthetic I took.)

But what exactly is wrong with it being in 2016? Were you saying that you used the Amnesia editor back in 2015 or something? But beyond that, I think that you shouldn't give up or anything like that, your mod sounds really cool as well. If it's a short map then it might be easy then if you got a lot done already you might finish it in no time (by the way, was it the one called "Death Arena"?).
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2016, 10:55 AM by Hypercube.)
06-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Back in 2013 I launched the A.M Team to put out animations and to use it as a screen name for my friends and people online to work with me to make Amnesia mods. Amnesia modding was better for me as there wasn't that much models to use and the standards were set low in Amnesia. The most famous mod is just four rooms and a grunt and you have to block the Grunt for a minute. That is how far I thought Amnesia could go. Besides a few exceptions (The Second Dimension, Through The Portal, A Late Night Drink) no-one would judge you for being too 'basic'.

When my computer BSoD I lost most of my early mods like Amnesia: Harbor and Doctor Poo: Neo. All I have is the music, a video and some screenshots on the forums. As you can tell from them the mods were above average. With Amnesia I saw the mods first and my mods reflected this but with SOMA however I saw what you could do with it first hand.

Terminals, advanced AI (for FG anyways lol) and detailed maps that looked awesome. Since I started on the campaign and not the mods I set the standard so high for my mod Death Arena. I put in so much effort into utilizing almost everything modifiable in SOMA to the menu layout to the ambient lighting options in box lights. I set it too high however and it started to drag.

But now I'm getting back into it. A level is already completed and I just need to do three more. Since it's the Summer I plan on completing it by September/October maybe.

The only thin that is making me hesitant is the lack on any constructive criticism. Saying "Cool Mod! Big Grin" is great but there comes a time where I long for people to say "It's cool, but I think you should have...". Thankfully this is changing for the better due to the amount of bodies swarming Reddit and Steam Community for SOMA mods. Ever since I joined the HPL3 Skype Group I learned that a lot of people are doing projects and are experiencing the same thing. I'm not going to name anyone but from what I see these people are blowing everyone out of the water in terms of design and level detail.

I expect a lot to come either this year or the year after. Heart
06-28-2016, 05:46 PM
Find
Hypercube Offline

When it comes to critique on any SOMA mods that are being made, I would only want to review them once they are fully released. "Cool mod" was just a way to summarize the point I was trying to make, nothing final. But, the only thing that I am skeptical about, however, is how detailed and well put-together your mod is. You and your team are creating it so there haven't really been any public opinions on it, but if you are comparing consistently, then I would have to agree with you, the screenshots for it looks very well made. But yeah, it sucks that your computer got the bsod, but if you still have some motivation for making these mods, keep on going at it, I'd love to play it when it's done.

If you'd like to see some screenshots of my mod, then here's a link:
https://imgur.com/a/e8spH

It looks similar to Theta Labs, but that was one of the only styles that I could make look like a futuristic space station. But yes, it won't be a level where lots of rooms don't have purposes and you're just supposed to explore, like many of the mods available currently, each room will have some purpose, whether it be a (hopefully) well-paced monster encounter, or a huge part of the story to discover. I don't really know how it will turn out in the end, but for now I will just work on the mod. Like I said earlier though I will also enjoy seeing new mods that I can play, like yours Death Arena, because I like the concept of it. Are you posting it just on moddb or steam too?

Also, is it a good idea to get any of my mods on moddb or can I just have a link to a mediafire download? I'm assuming the first one because it might be better to get the news out there quicker.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016, 03:40 AM by Hypercube.)
06-29-2016, 03:24 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Thanks for replying.

Death Arena will be released to ModDB and Steam. I will be taking criticism very seriously on ModDB but not so much on Steam. The game will feature custom music, voice acting and textures. The maps incorporate the techniques used in SOMA and Amnesia including accurate lighting and detail. A lot of people from the Skype group as well as yourself are taking knowledge from the main game level design and scripting wise.

The reason why Death Arena's screenshots look final is because I like to make everything as final as possible while creating the mod so I get a closer look at what it might turn out to be. The screenshots show different, finished sections but if I turned around the level is not even sealed up! Smile

Speaking about your mod, I would recommend adding more decals like rusted cracks in the ground. I've started incorporating large decals of dirt with a lowered alpha. It really changes the way the floor looks and makes it feel less bare. Other than that I love the lighting diversity and the level of detail on the walls is good too. A definite play once it is done.
06-29-2016, 08:02 AM
Find
Hypercube Offline

I know exactly what you are talking about, if I were to take screenshots it would probably be at the beginning where only some parts look really complete. I might as well be more serious on moddb too because since steam is such an easier place for people to just upload what kind of 2 minute stuff they're making so it's hard to actually pinpoint any amazing maps. Hopefully the modding community grows for SOMA, it is really bare to begin with right now.

And as for my mod, I don't exactly need to give the floor too much detail besides the occasional item lying around out of nowhere, and maybe some trails of blood or water leaks, but other than that, it's supposed to have an Alien Isolation type of vibe so I want there to not be anyone alive, but it still looks like it's brand new. The other details would be how the floor has detailed padderns. It's a bit tedious to try to make a curved sort of path but and what not but it looks nice Wink.

I haven't created an account on moddb yet so I will start doing that actually, seems worth it! Also, what is this skype group that you talked about? sounds interesting.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016, 08:20 AM by Hypercube.)
06-29-2016, 08:19 AM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

(06-29-2016, 08:19 AM)Hypercube Wrote: I haven't created an account on moddb yet so I will start doing that actually, seems worth it! Also, what is this skype group that you talked about? sounds interesting.

https://join.skype.com/JrrxJa3mhDyH

For SOMA modders to get quicker access to answers than using the forums. We just ask questions and we try and help to.
06-29-2016, 04:04 PM
Find
Hypercube Offline

(06-29-2016, 04:04 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 08:19 AM)Hypercube Wrote: I haven't created an account on moddb yet so I will start doing that actually, seems worth it! Also, what is this skype group that you talked about? sounds interesting.

https://join.skype.com/JrrxJa3mhDyH

For SOMA modders to get quicker access to answers than using the forums. We just ask questions and we try and help to.

Cool. Just one question, is it constant voice chat, or is it mainly just people talking in instant message?
06-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

We talk using instant messaging. I don't believe there has been a direct call amongst the whole group, but I'm sure some form of calls have taken place between individuals outside the chat group scope. Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016, 06:12 PM by Romulator.)
06-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Find