Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra games with motion controllers?
zargas Offline

Threads: 1
Penumbra games with motion controllers?

Hi!
As I have recently discovered theese awesome games, it struck me quite fast:
How awesome would theese games be playing with move controllers like the Wii or the new playstation Move controlls? The physics in the game is bound to be a good match with this setup.

It would be awesome if you could port it onto playstation store with move support. Swing that pickaxe yourself or open doors & drawers. Wow, that would be soo immersive and cool Big Grin

Please look into it =)
10-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
RE: Penumbra games with motion controllers?

MulleDK13 is (possibly was) working on something for the Wiimote since Penumbra's now open-source, but since the controls of the game are set up a certain way, the Wiimote's functionality would be limited only to where your flashlight is pointing and the direction in which your character is leaning. The joystick was used to look around and move objects.

But think about it, would it really be worth using Wii, Kinect, or Move if you can't feel anything?

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
10-18-2010, 02:26 AM
Website Find
zargas Offline

(10-18-2010, 02:26 AM)Lee Wrote: But think about it, would it really be worth using Wii, Kinect, or Move if you can't feel anything?

I am not sure I follow you here.
Do you mean the available options on the Wii controllers arent enough to have moving objects functionality on a motion sensored stick?

I do not own a Wii just the Move for ps3. But I recon if you walk around with the left controller (left handed people) you can look around with the right (motion sensored) controller and use a button as a toggle for quick free move for precision stuff like throwing rocks.

Like resident evil 5 that just got move support. It works like this. Free look is on the motion controller and when you push a certain button you enter aim mode. In the case of penumbra that aint a shooter, replace same functionality with free movement of the hand that interacts with stuff. Just like today it would always be in this center position anyway when you aim at things like doors and all. Or you could actually remove that feature alltogether to make it harder and more immersive, youll have to toggle the hand yourself to discover interactable objects =)
10-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Unless you start to code it yourself, there's no support for PS3 Move.

10-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Website Find
zargas Offline

(10-18-2010, 11:04 AM)Scraper Wrote: Unless you start to code it yourself, there's no support for PS3 Move.

Yes, the initial post was more or less a wish that in the future, frictional games should consider the work behind actually making the port avalable for the consoles (playstation store and Xbox live) as the new boost that motion controllers are around the globe. Most games available (for the ps3 atleast) are still silly small minigames apart from resident evil 5 and Heavy Rain (that failed horribly with move implementation).

From a consumers perspective, Id love this as an alternative as the market stil is in its starting grounds.

Frictional games have made the effort to reach steam before. I can not imagine anything else than that it was a good result reaching a lot of more players (including me). Now, go the next step and reach the console players and motion controll support. Maybe the penumbra series are to old and wont be attractive enough. But the new Amnesia should deffo be considered!
10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Find