Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophical Thoughts on Problem Postings
AGP Offline

Threads: 45
Rainbow  Philosophical Thoughts on Problem Postings

Quote:I'm working on testing out some sanity effects in one of my maps, and upon completing the level and reaching the load screen the game crashes.

My theory is maybe there is some sort of bug with the sanity effects/damage since this didn't start happening until they were implemented.

Attached is the hpl log.

I'm not sure what is really causing this to crash but it needs to be fixed. :/

I seem to be cursed in that I discover a problem with my developing mod, post about said problem, then, through fumbling about in the dark, solve said problem and promptly waste a forum post.

So, with this having happened yet again, I should like to have a slight, one-sided conversation with you on the philosophy of "wasted posting", for all you who already knew this and are "smh"-ing right now and to those of you who will soon be "smh"-ing at either yourself or others in the future.

No post should be a wasted post. Well.... that's probably debatable, but I view it as "there is no such thing as a stupid question". Yes, the question may became over-asked, but it will eventually be asked so much that people will inevitably run into the answer somewhere, right?... At least, I hope so. Otherwise, humanity might be doomed....

There is always that one person.

But anywho, let's use this "wasted post" as the be all and end all of these "stupid questions"!

The hpl log is your friend. The crash box is (sometimes) your friend.

If something is crashing or freaking out in your mod, check the last thing you edited: it is probably a simple spelling error or a missing punctuation. As in my case, I had a script set to 1f and not 1.0f. Amnesia doesn't like that, you know.

In short: treat Amnesia well, and it will behave in kind, with lots of love and not crashing on you like a child on the road of the world's most massive sugar high while simultaneously belly-flopping into a kiddie pool. Give it love and carefully pour over her words like she is the absolute mistress of your life and is the most delicate fragile flower you've ever dared to pick, and it will not curse you like it has chosen to curse me.

Ah hell, what am I talking about! We're all cursed!

TAKE IT AWAY, ROM!

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 72.59 KB / Downloads: 86)

(This post was last modified: 07-23-2016, 10:32 AM by AGP.)
07-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Philosophical Thoughts on Problem Postings

Well put AGP Smile

[mod] Moving over to Development Support for the time being, since Tech Support is for when you can't play a particular Custom Story or Full Conversion Tongue

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
07-23-2016, 07:28 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

imo I think those stupid/dumb questions are the ones that keep the forum alive, they connect us and makes us talk and debate.

07-23-2016, 04:11 PM
Find
AGP Offline

Threads: 45

(07-23-2016, 04:11 PM)Daemian Wrote: imo I think those stupid/dumb questions are the ones that keep the forum alive, they connect us and makes us talk and debate.

Amen!

07-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

And you also learn from them. Whether you solve it yourself, or somebody else does it for you, someone is going to learn from it.

It's important that when you find the solution you underline it for other people to see.

Trying is the first step to success.
07-25-2016, 03:27 PM
Find