Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft??
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: OFF-TOPIC but any personal reviews of the sandbox video game, Minecraft??

For Xbox? No clue.
I would recommend the Java version for desktop, as it has the most content, features, support and mod support, as well as custom servers. Any of the other versions are not Java based, so they simply try to achieve the same effect in a different language, meaning they are not compatible with any previous mods as well as being less moddable (in addition to being on a more closed-down platform).
If you need help setting up a Java-based server, I can probably help.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017, 11:10 AM by Mudbill.)
02-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Find
SamChurch Offline

Threads: 3

(02-08-2017, 11:09 AM)Mudbill Wrote: For Xbox? No clue.

For Xbox 360, I'm not entirely sure but I would imagine it's the same as Xbox One.

For Xbox One you would just purchase a server subscription to a service Mojang introduced called "Minecraft Realms". Basically, they host multiplayer servers so other people can play on your map and you don't have to be on it.

If you don't want to pay for said service, you can simply open your world to friends (and friends of friends if you so choose) and then you can play with all up to...either 8 or 16 people, I don't quite remember. The only downside to this method: you must be online and in that world for others to play in it.

For more details on the PC version of Realms, follow this link below.

https://minecraft.net/en-us/realms/?ref=m

Note that you can't use this link to purchase Realms for any Console Edition, it is purely informational and can only be used to purchase Realms for PC/Pocket Editions.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017, 12:20 AM by SamChurch.)
02-09-2017, 12:15 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I'm familiar with Realms. It has been a thing on the PC version for a while, somewhat shorter than consoles I believe. It is a paid service, so if that's what you choose, that's up to you.

I'm talking own-hosted servers, free of charge, but they do require some technical knowledge and prerequisites to work.

02-09-2017, 01:41 AM
Find
SamChurch Offline

Threads: 3

(02-09-2017, 01:41 AM)Mudbill Wrote: I'm familiar with Realms. It has been a thing on the PC version for a while, somewhat shorter than consoles I believe. It is a paid service, so if that's what you choose, that's up to you.

I'm talking own-hosted servers, free of charge, but they do require some technical knowledge and prerequisites to work.

Yes, they are paid services, however Console Edition doesn't have any alternative that you can keep open without physically being in the world. If Console is your choice, you must either be in the world for it to be open or pay for Realms.
02-09-2017, 02:48 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Yeah, like I said, I can help with the Java-based servers, which are desktop only. Otherwise you don't have that many options.

02-09-2017, 02:51 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

One of my few PC games that transitioned with me into PC Gaming from the PS3 around 2011.

It also established my online user and avatar since.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
02-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Find
laniana Offline

Threads: 2

I finally did manage setting up a Minecraft server that had multiplayers..all by myself!..yaay!. Well, if anyone needs a beginner's guide on setting up your own Minecraft server.. while i was trying to figure out how to manage it by myself i ended up stumbling upon this article which i think has some pretty useful info. The blog post was well summarised and relative easy to read. Might be worthwhile taking a look!
02-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Find