Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Diary Fainting?
darkdoom Offline

Threads: 1
Diary Fainting?

I am very much a newb at Amnesia, but going over the help and such, I think what I have is actually not supposed to happen.

I had found the first two Algeria diary entries, and was messing around in the Archives. I found the 3rd entry, and as soon as I picked it up, I fainted.
I could hear the diary page being read, but seemingly only the first 1-3 lines... about seeing the pale light and dragging towards it.

I have waited about a total of 1 hour, hoping to wait back up... or respawn.. or anything. I can still hear noises, but can not see, open my inventory, move, etc. The game itself is not frozen, because I can go back to the menu and such with escape.

What should I do? Do I have to restart!?
12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Website Find
Som1Lse Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Diary Fainting?

The faint is fully intended.
The thing is that you experience the scene he is reading about.
Try to hold down W if everything is black.
12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Website Find
darkdoom Offline

ok, I will try. It just seemed really annoying that I couldn't do anything.

I had to load a autosave from before I found the last diary. It's all fixed now.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2010, 08:59 PM by darkdoom.)
12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Website Find
Alex7754 Offline

Threads: 6

You must walk up to the pale blue light and touch it. If you cant see it, it might be an effect that you have turned off, or your computer just cant process it?
12-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Find
Maexxnus Offline

(12-13-2010, 06:17 PM)darkdoom Wrote: I am very much a newb at Amnesia, but going over the help and such, I think what I have is actually not supposed to happen.

I had found the first two Algeria diary entries, and was messing around in the Archives. I found the 3rd entry, and as soon as I picked it up, I fainted.
I could hear the diary page being read, but seemingly only the first 1-3 lines... about seeing the pale light and dragging towards it.

I have waited about a total of 1 hour, hoping to wait back up... or respawn.. or anything. I can still hear noises, but can not see, open my inventory, move, etc. The game itself is not frozen, because I can go back to the menu and such with escape.

What should I do? Do I have to restart!?

I'm experiencing the exact same problem as darkdoom. Right after I faint, after reading the note, I hear the narration of the note but then I see no light.. in fact I can't see anything, it's all dark. Nor can I move, or get any other buttons to work except the Esc button. And I can still hear sounds and stuff, like darkdoom says.
I've tried pressing the W button, didn't work. Also saved before the event and tried it again many times, still the same problem. I didn't touch the settings, except to adapt the Gamma as the game suggests (which I think pretty much everyone does). I don't know what else to do... I'm even considering restarting, but I'm afraid, from my experience, that it's going to happen the same thing once I try to read that note again. Can anyone help me?
01-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Try and temporary lower all the graphics settings and play this part, if you can get through it, restore the settings and continue playing.
01-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Website Find
Maexxnus Offline

(01-14-2011, 10:04 PM)jens Wrote: Try and temporary lower all the graphics settings and play this part, if you can get through it, restore the settings and continue playing.

It worked! I lowered everything, unchecked all boxes for shadow, effects, etc, lowered quality and everything else to low and lowered the resolution to the minimum (300x200), and it finally showed the light and allowed me to move! The only thing I didn't alter was the gamma, everything else lowered. Thank you very much! Big Grin
Oops... spoke too soon. Everything is working perfectly, only now, as the resolution is so low, I can't change the options back to default.. seems that the Options menu is too big to fit the small window, and so the tabs of "graphic", "sound", etc, as well as the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons, aren't visible. And I can't drag the screen around, nor make the menu smaller, so... I can't do anything. Help, again? Please..
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2011, 05:15 AM by Maexxnus.)
01-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Use the settings menu that appears when you launch the game.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
01-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Website Find
Maexxnus Offline

(01-15-2011, 05:32 AM)Lee Wrote: Use the settings menu that appears when you launch the game.

Both in the game and in the launch panel, I had the exact same problem with the Options menu (which is the settings). I managed to change the resolution by altering the "main_settings.cfg" file in the My Documents/Amnesia/Main folder: changed [Screen Width="320" Height="200"] to [Screen Width="1024" Height="700"], which is the default resolution, and it worked. All is fine.
01-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Find