Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting frustrated with the shadow dude *spoilers*
Shev Offline

Threads: 25
Getting frustrated with the shadow dude *spoilers*

So I got decently far in this game I think, I'm in the dungeon level and its getting kinda frustrating I'm not gunna lie.

Basically I was going through the dungeon and all the sudden this weird sound plays. At first I was like "Wtf is this?" then I realized "Oh shit, this is what it plays when that monster see's you.' I turn around, and he's right there. I mean literally like 2 feet from my face so I just go "Son of a bitch" and try to run for it, but I get destroyed and respawn at the beginning.

So then I walk through expecting him to show up in the same spot but he doesn't, so I just assumed he didn't spawn or something and went continued what I was doing. Eventually I get to the end of the hall and the sound plays again, so I'm like "Oh crap!" and run for the entrance of the dungeon to use the one lock you see on it, and barricade it and see if that'll work. Unfortunately I took a wrong turn and ended ran into a locked door.

Basically what I should have just said in the first place and not wasted anyones time with those stories is, "Is there a way that I can be able to tell when the monster is there?" I mean he snuck up on me twice already, and now its getting annoying. Also how good is sneaking in this? Can you like crouch walk and still be slightly hidden, because there where a few times when I saw the monster but I didn't want to move because he could have heard me, and just crouched in the corner and got seen anyways.

i spam meme 4 raeg
12-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Find
Renegade_ Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Getting frustrated with the shadow dude *spoilers*

Sound, sound, sound. It's not the Shadow, but rather one of Alexander's creatures that lurks you and when it's in the vicinity it will always play the ambient warning track, followed by its grunting/shuffling sounds. If it spots you or you it, this will ramp up to a more alarming sound played along with its moaning and cries. Adjust your sound, and/or play with headphones; the ambiance is audible from any distance, and the sound effects are fairly easy to discern when the volume is at an appropriate level.

Also if you are a fan of the Penumbra series you should not the enemies in this game don't serve as an obstacle to sneak past per se (you can try I suppose), rather, an enemy appearing means you should go another way or hide (usually if it wanders off after a while, it's the latter). This also means in the case where multiple paths can be taken, which one an enemy may appear at (and thus block off) can be chosen at random, and make for more dynamic playthroughs.
12-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(12-15-2010, 12:24 PM)Renegade_ Wrote: Sound, sound, sound. It's not the Shadow, but rather one of Alexander's creatures that lurks you and when it's in the vicinity it will always play the ambient warning track, followed by its grunting/shuffling sounds. If it spots you or you it, this will ramp up to a more alarming sound played along with its moaning and cries. Adjust your sound, and/or play with headphones; the ambiance is audible from any distance, and the sound effects are fairly easy to discern when the volume is at an appropriate level.

Also if you are a fan of the Penumbra series you should not the enemies in this game don't serve as an obstacle to sneak past per se (you can try I suppose), rather, an enemy appearing means you should go another way or hide (usually if it wanders off after a while, it's the latter). This also means in the case where multiple paths can be taken, which one an enemy may appear at (and thus block off) can be chosen at random, and make for more dynamic playthroughs.

But say you're kinda stuck with him. How good at hiding is your character?

Will crouching in a dark corner and waiting for him to go away work? Or will he lurk around long enough to spot you, how long does it take for him to spot you? Is it possible to sneak past him?

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2010, 03:33 PM by Shev.)
12-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

If you're in the worst situation possible (no cover, you just ran into a cell with no door) just sit in a corner, crouched and look at the wall. He shouldn't notice you. You can sneak past if you walk softly.

Most of this is avoided though, as said before, its really key to hear the sounds. You can sense that there's a monster coming literally 3 seconds before you actually see it.
12-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Find