Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: What format should Amnesia -Lost in the Dark- be?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Custom Story
66.67%
6 66.67%
Full Conversion mod
11.11%
1 11.11%
I don't know
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia -Lost in the Dark-
clonerex340 Offline

Threads: 14
Amnesia -Lost in the Dark-

I am having some trouble deciding if Amnesia -Lost in the Dark- should be a CS or FC. Please vote to help me.
06-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Amnesia -Lost in the Dark-

If you're having trouble deciding, it is most likely not worth the effort.
06-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(06-12-2013, 10:29 PM)clonerex340 Wrote: I am having some trouble deciding if Amnesia -Lost in the Dark- should be a CS or FC. Please vote to help me.

Hi there :D Aright to give you a quick -I'm a bloody liar, already typed a paragraph - rundown from what I've seen:

There's no difference in quality between a good custom story and a good full conversion. The misconceived notion that FCs are automatically better comes from the fact that they take more time, effort, and skill (usually) to create, meaning the developers are serious about the project and want it to be polished and impressive. CSs can be made by anyone who has downloaded the editing suite (technically, so can FCs), but they're more accessible, so there's naturally just more bad CSs than there are bad FCs.

Now that that's been clarified, why would you want to make your mod an FC? Well, it allows you to do certain things that a CS is incapable of, such as changing the inventory interface, main menu, and the lantern used. I'm sure there's a larger list, but I'm still relatively new to the whole modding thing :)

On the other hand, why would you want to make your game a CS? Well, it's a little bit easier to do, it's more accessible to more people (you don't have to re-code it specifically for Linux or Mac users), and you can still insert custom models of almost anything you want, monsters, chairs, walls, doors, coffins - I've seen a TARDIS model (yay Traggey!) used in CSs. You just can't change the menu/inventory/lantern.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide, not us. You're the one who has to do the work. You also know your story better than the rest of us; you'll know which type suits your story better and which one enhances it more.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-13-2013, 03:45 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
06-13-2013, 03:42 AM
Find
clonerex340 Offline

Thanks for listing the details of Full Conversions and Custom Stories. I believe I will make mine a Custom Story, just because it seems like a lot less work, and it would be released sooner.
06-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Awesome! I'm looking forward to seeing what this custom story will entail Big Grin

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
06-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Find
clonerex340 Offline

When I release it, I will post the download here.
06-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Find