Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Amnesia or Penumbra Black Plague
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
78.79%
26 78.79%
Penumbra: Black Plague
21.21%
7 21.21%
Total 33 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Question
Shev Offline

Threads: 25
RE: Question

(01-21-2011, 12:25 AM)JarrodTheBobo Wrote:
(01-21-2011, 12:00 AM)Shev Wrote: Black Plague > Amnesia

BTW: Black plague doesn't have any weapons, for those of you who say amnesia but have not actually played black plague. Although your vote really doesn't count anyways then.

After a little bit into amnesia you realize that the monsters just spawn in and then despawn for script events, and they've despawned when their music is over.

Also in black plague you run into monsters up front a lot more, and they do a bit more patrolling, plus they get flashlights a few times.

The only thing amnesia really had going for it was when a monster saw you, you where pretty much dead because its faster than you and can 2 shot you... Although its extremely easy to lose them.

yeah aggota admit, the grunts and brutes were kinda retarded...XD

Yeah they where pretty bad. I mean in penumbra the AI was kinda weird, I was in the light in a room and a enemy looked directly at me but ignored me. However, in amnesia its just bad. As long as they lose sight of you in amnesia its pretty easy to just lose them in general.

edit: I highly doubt everyone who voted for amnesia actually played black plague.

i spam meme 4 raeg
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM by Shev.)
01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

I voted for Amnesia and played Black Plague.

To be honest, I don't know what it is about Black Plague...

After completing Overture, I bought the pack on steam (got overture off the humble indie bundle). Then, I started Black Plague, finished around 3 hours later.

I did black plague in one sitting... and requiem shortly after (around 1 hour or so).

I honestly didn't care for the infected at all really, I figured out that they can't outrun you so that definitely made things much less scary. I think Overture was scarier for me because I wasn't able to complete it in one sitting.

01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

There it is again with people claiming to have beaten these games in lightening speed...Overture took me 11.7 hours, Black Plague took me 7.4 hours, and Requiem took me 4.8. Not sure how you smuggled red bull to Philip so he could soar over obstacles, but if 7.4 hours is one sitting for you, I don't see how you couldn't just tough out a few more hours for Overture.

(I love that steam keeps track of that for me. Very handy.)
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM by hollowleviathan.)
01-21-2011, 09:08 PM
Find
Lodestone Offline

Threads: 0

Both the Penumbra series and Amnesia were very good. In Penumbra Overture,

Spoiler below!
the dogs were a lot less scary once you learned how to kill them

but there was still a lot of tension build-up and chase scenes, which were always horrifying. In particular,

Spoiler below!
the chase scene with the spiders right after the excavation site room which leads to the storage room scared the crap out of me.

In Black Plague, just the idea of

Spoiler below!
being infected with Clarence, manipulating your senses and screaming while monsters are after you

and

Spoiler below!
wearing the old gas mask with limited vision

was really scary, but the ending was too weird. I didn't play Requiem because it doesn't have a story.

In Amnesia, the tension is always there, and there are plenty of triggers to worry about (like if I pull this lever, what should I do if a monster jumps out?) But
Spoiler below!
the music is too huge a hint that a monster is present. It's like having a sixth sense.

So it's hard to say which game is scariest. I liked the story of Amnesia more.
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

(01-21-2011, 09:08 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: There it is again with people claiming to have beaten these games in lightening speed...Overture took me 11.7 hours, Black Plague took me 7.4 hours, and Requiem took me 4.8. Not sure how you smuggled red bull to Philip so he could soar over obstacles, but if 7.4 hours is one sitting for you, I don't see how you couldn't just tough out a few more hours for Overture.

(I love that steam keeps track of that for me. Very handy.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/xiphirx/games?tab=all

Quote:Penumbra: Black Plague
5.2 hrs on record

Wink Minus 1 hour because after playing through I attempted to block the infected from coming into the place where you pickup the syringe (I was successful btw)

01-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

I admit my inferiority to you, a demigod of adventure gaming.
01-23-2011, 03:43 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

lmao, that's not what I was implying. I was just saying how I didn't feel so scared in Black Plague.

01-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

I gave Amnesia my vote.
Black Plague is scarier because it's darker, the setting is more realistic and the enemies are always present. In Amnesia you realize fast that the enemies despawn after first encounter, but the triggered events are still creepy. In my opinion Amnesia has the better story and atmosphere, because you find out more about Daniel and his background.
01-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Website Find
JarrodTheBobo Offline

i bought the pack. im currently on black plague and its way scarier than amnesia IMO. i was able to beat overture in 4 HOURS. no joke. if you dont believe me ill show a screen shot of my steam library. yes i did use a walkthrough, but only for really confusing parts of the game. Overture scared me but then i kinda got used to it...the dogs are also much better than the grunts and brutes IMO as they didnt just give up on chasing you....

In black plague i already have 68 mins, and i find it amazing.
01-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

I didn't mean to make this a speed run competition. Really, playing the game at your own pace is best. I just didn't think I meandered that much...
01-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Find