Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some game limitations seem too artificial
kailip Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Some game limitations seem too artificial

(01-23-2011, 11:27 PM)Lee Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 10:24 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 05:36 PM)mrmOU Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 01:19 PM)texter Wrote: Some limitations in the game are so artificial they border on absurdity.

This is true in probably over 90 percent of the games on the market today. RPG games allow a character to carry far more loot than what is possible in real life, FPS games allow their characters to carry several big weapons at the same time. Granted, those things are not really limitations, but they are basic staples in gaming that make them just that...games.

more like every game ever made, tell me one game that didn't limit me from doing anything i want... just 1.

Saints Row 2, Minecraft

He said just 1. Angel
01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

In Penumbra, you were punished for trying to kill the dogs. When you strike one dog, the dog runs and calls a whole gang of dogs. You're pretty much fucked unless you're up high.

Although this is a good way of punishing the player, it didn't do enough. People still went ahead an killed the dogs. I believe the decision to make yourself defenseless was great in Amnesia and Black Plague.

01-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0

(01-23-2011, 11:29 PM)kailip Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 11:27 PM)Lee Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 10:24 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 05:36 PM)mrmOU Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 01:19 PM)texter Wrote: Some limitations in the game are so artificial they border on absurdity.

This is true in probably over 90 percent of the games on the market today. RPG games allow a character to carry far more loot than what is possible in real life, FPS games allow their characters to carry several big weapons at the same time. Granted, those things are not really limitations, but they are basic staples in gaming that make them just that...games.

more like every game ever made, tell me one game that didn't limit me from doing anything i want... just 1.

Saints Row 2, Minecraft

He said just 1. Angel

in minecraft i can't grab a ledge and pull myself up, i mean, c'mon, it's only 30 cm higher than i can jump, wouldn't it be more REALISTIC and less RESTRICTED if i could grab ledges, even if only to show how ineffective it is, i mean, at least let me try grabbing the edges, and what about making my pick axe out of somethng like an alloy, or making my fishing rod out of fiber glass, i can't do those, and in saints row 2 i can't castrate a man, what if i want to castrate them, what if they pissed me off and i wanted to tie a car batteries to their groin... i wish i could do that in saints row 2, but i can't.

and in all honesty, the original post is moot, the option to fight is there, and not being able to pick up candles is game play decision, as is the oil running out thing, and it's better that way.
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Find
Airyll Offline

Threads: 2

While it may seem too artificial for you, the fright that the helplessness produces is not. Amnesia is not designed to simulate what a real person would do in that situation because that is not the point, Amnesia is designed to psychologically frighten the player. It also has to do this repeatedly, over and over and over again, with exactly the same mechanics.

If you had even the slightest option of fighting, futile or not, monsters would never panic you as much as they do. Ever. People are only truly afraid when they are truly helpless to defend themselves; the utter psychological torment on a person who knows they have no way to defend their life other than to hide and pray is intense. If they gave you the option to swing so much as a stick at these monsters, the game would lose a great deal of it's psychological fear factor, and this in turn would detract from the entire element of the game.

I far prefer a game giving me no option to fight and forcing me to run and hide if it's intention is to scare me, because it works. It does scare me, and it will continue to scare me every time I see one of those fuckers patrolling a corridor and growling to themselves about whatever bothers Amnesia monsters. And that is why there is not even an option to fight in this game.

It has to frighten you, and it has to do this repeatedly until you beat the game. If they so much as gave you an option, Amnesia would be far less frightening and far more boring, because all anybody would ever do is whine "WHY DO THEY LET ME SWING AT THE MONSTERS IF I CAN NEVER KILL THEM?!?!? WHAT'S THE POINT?! BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!!!!!!!"

[Image: DragonBannersmall.png]
01-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxXH5UZS...re=related

this is a video of fighting the monsters, it's in there, and it is JUST LIKE YOU WANTED.

now quit being too artificially and mentally limited...
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2011, 07:53 AM by Zoridium JackL.)
01-25-2011, 07:52 AM
Find
NyteMyre Offline

Threads: 5

I do agree that i thought it was odd that you couldn't take torches or candles with you. But in the end, i'm glad that you couldn't. The whole fear of running out of oil/tinderboxes would be gone :p
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

Preaching realism as a reason why game mechanics are bad is absolutely ridiculous.
01-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(01-25-2011, 03:39 PM)Sel Wrote: Preaching realism as a reason why game mechanics are bad is absolutely ridiculous.

not always, but in a majority of cases this is true.
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Find
Shev Offline

Threads: 25

(01-25-2011, 07:52 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxXH5UZS...re=related

this is a video of fighting the monsters, it's in there, and it is JUST LIKE YOU WANTED.

You can't swing the chair at the monster, the game wont let you and breaks the laws of physics and reason to prevent you from actually colliding with the monster.

i spam meme 4 raeg
01-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(01-25-2011, 09:31 PM)Shev Wrote:
(01-25-2011, 07:52 AM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehxXH5UZS...re=related

You can't swing the chair at the monster, the game wont let you and breaks the laws of physics and reason to prevent you from actually colliding with the monster.

no, that's just it not hitting hard enough to acctually do shit so it either passes behind the monster in an effort to get where you are pointing or deflects off and you let go, either way, that is how you can fight, and it is as useless as the OP wanted it to be.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2011, 02:15 AM by Zoridium JackL.)
01-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Find