Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Linux Beta Demo and Feedback (1.0.1 Final Out)
mgtfin Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Linux Beta Demo and Feedback

Intense game. No problems on Open Suse 10.2.

Machine:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 Motherboard
2G Cosiar memory
on board sound ( AC'97)
Nvidia 6800GT pci express 256M
samsung 500GB sataII drive

Game Settings: 1280X1024 anisotropic/anti alias 2x
hardware sound

And thanks for another commercial Linux game.

Can you buy the linux version now.
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2007, 08:10 AM by Rocker.)
03-27-2007, 08:06 AM
Find
GFree Offline

Threads: 5

Hello, new user here. Great demo, can't wait for the full version, makes me glad when developers step forward and release Linux clients. Smile

r00b Wrote:great demo, I can't wait to buy the game. one request, resolution at 1680x1050.

The method for getting a specific resolution is here: http://frictionalgames.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=628

Note that in Linux there is no "My Documents/Penumbra Overture/Episode 1".
Instead, it's at "~/.frictionalgames/Penumbra Overture/Episode1".
Hope that helps!
03-27-2007, 08:11 AM
Find
homer77 Offline

Yeah! now it works! I can load the demo without floating exception. Thanks to Urkle for fixing this issue.
There's only a little mess with the sound. First time I started there was sound, but since my amarok was running I quitted and closed amarok just to start the Demo alone again.
Since then I receive positive shell output
esd grab audio ok
but no sound at all in the demo.
Other apps still run with sound, so it seems not to concern the sound engine itself but the demo.

I'll inform your about any progress :-)

Thanx and Greetings again,
Homer
03-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Find
hikaricore Offline

RE: Ubuntu Update

Urkle Wrote:I've release the demo beta 2 binaries on tracker.outoforder.cc

Freakin awesome, working fine now. Smile

I don't have much time to play tonight, but I'll dive right in after I get off
work. Thanks for the fix. Smile

--Aaron
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Find
homer77 Offline

RE: Ubuntu Update

hikaricore Wrote:I don't have much time to play tonight, but I'll dive right in after I get off
work. Thanks for the fix. Smile

--Aaron

:-D And you don't need much time for it ... I came to an end after up to 20 min. Well of course ... it's just a demo ;-)
03-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Find
Sharpshooter Offline

Threads: 2

It works !

I still got the "GLIBC_2.4" problem when I use the given libopenal*, libalut*, libstdc++* files. So I had to delete those files and now it works. I installed libopenal0 package from Debian to replace the bad files. No more "floating point exception".

By the way, it looks like a very great game ! I will buy it as soon it will be avalaible. Smile

Will it be possible to have localized versions for Linux ?

Pentium IV 2400
1Gb Ram
SATA HD 400 Gb
Nvidia Geforce 5700 256Gb
Debian Linux Etch
03-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Find
Thib_G Offline

Threads: 1

Thanks a lot !
With the new demo, the only problem I have is related to sound, and I read you're already working on it.
I also noticed the full game will be translated into French. When it will be released and fully compatible with linux, I'll buy it Smile
03-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Find
alienjon Offline

Kudos on porting to Linux guys. I, for one, really appreciate the effort. I have especially looking for this kind of game for a while now and I'm glad to see that there is finally one coming out!

I would like to try the demo to get a feel for gameplay but I'm having two problems.

First and foremost, I cannot download the torrent files themselves, the connection always times out for some reason (that goes for both the original beta post and the second one too) A google search showed that someone in the ubuntu forums mentioned the problem and posted the torrent file as a zip file in their forums, so thats where I was able to get the file.

Having finally downloaded it onto my computer, I am now having the 'frontend' problem that others seem to be having (I'm on an Athlon 64 X2 4400+ processor, but it sounds like other 64 bitters are able to get around the issue) I tried the suggestion a while back of explicitly stating the target directory, but I still get the error right after that and cannot do the other steps. It sounds like getting the new beta release (the tarball) would allow me to compile it myself and would therefore fix this 'missing libraries) issue (and as a gentooer, compiling is my thing :-p) But the catch 22 there is that I can't download the file in the first place (see problem 1)
03-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Find
Thib_G Offline

I've got one segfault, but I can't reproduce it.
By the way, I noticed several minors data-related issues ( I mean, it's about the physicals properties of the objects ). I'll made a short video showing it.
03-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Find
Thib_G Offline

Having trouble to host the video files, I'll try to explain :
In the first level, the bucket is a plain block ( I mean, you cannot put things into it )
You cannot break the whiskey bottle when you are holding it, but when it falls onto the pillow, it break itself...
03-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Find