Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In need of a creative solution
GraphicsKid Offline

Threads: 34
In need of a creative solution

So let me set the stage here: so you're in a flooded basement, and there's a staircase that goes one level lower. You're on the upper level and you're already up to your knees in water! So obviously the downstairs is kind of off limits, seeing as how it's underwater. SO... if the player is brave enough to submerge themselves and try to progress this way, their only reward shall be a locked door... if you can call that a reward. So no going down, so what now? Well the player is supposed to toss boxes over the water to form makeshift platforms to hop from to reach a balcony that is at the same level as the floor, but above the staircase.

Here's the problem: All the while you're building this box bridge to get across, there's a grunt patrolling the cellar (and he's not just going to disappear, nor alert you to his presence by blasting creepy music!)

Only problem is, the monster doesn't really handle the water that well... At least with the player I can add movement resistance and reduced gravity. The monster, if he sees you perched on top of a box, he'll run right at you... down the stairs... and start swatting at the water below the box, below you!

Does anybody have any suggestions for a better way to handle this?
02-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: In need of a creative solution

Make a script area and add an entitycollidecallback for the grunt to not go any further?

02-09-2011, 01:03 AM
Website Find
GraphicsKid Offline

How does that stop the grunt at all? Disable triggers in that callback?

The only problem is this makes the floating boxes a safe haven for the player. Hmm...
02-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Disable the triggers, and activate another area if player goes near the grunt only to re-activate him.

02-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Website Find
pedritti Offline

Threads: 1

(02-09-2011, 10:17 PM)GraphicsKid Wrote: How does that stop the grunt at all? Disable triggers in that callback?

The only problem is this makes the floating boxes a safe haven for the player. Hmm...

Is that bad? Big Grin
You're supposed to have safe havens Tongue
02-10-2011, 03:36 AM
Find
GraphicsKid Offline

Yea... maybe I'll make it so it sits there for a second, glaring at you, then it saunters off... the player will probably wait for a while to make sure it's gone, and hop down to gather more boxes, then BOOM, I hit them with the ShowEnemyPlayerPosition function so ole smiley will come bursting out around the corner with the REEEEEEWWWWERRRRRRRR sound blaring. Big Grin
02-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Find
adamhun Offline

Threads: 4

"REEEEEEWWWWERRRRRRRR sound blaring." - that made me lol Big Grin

-Retired-
02-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Find