Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Play Amnesia, get Portal 2 released sooner!
Mothhive Offline

Threads: 1
Play Amnesia, get Portal 2 released sooner!

Some of you have probably seen this already, but for those who haven't, the whole Valve ARG that Amnesia and Amnesia:Justine were part of has finally come to a conclusion. Basically, all we have to do now is play any of the games in the potato pack (Amnesia being one of them) and we contribute "CPU power" to GLADOS' reboot. The more people that play these games, the sooner Portal 2 gets released.

Check it out:

http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

Big Grin
04-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Find
Fomzo Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Play Amnesia, get Portal 2 released sooner!

Oh guy, IMPROVE your English firstTongue And BTW why do we have to wait till Portal 2 is released to play Justine?
04-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Find
Mothhive Offline

What exactly is wrong with my English? Perhaps YOU should improve your comprehension of english before commenting! Now, if you've finished being unpleasant, perhaps you'd care to tell me what exactly you're having difficulty understanding?

Valve has set up a system similar to the folding@home project which uses distributed computing to make use of people's idle CPU time remotely. The difference with GLaDOS@Home is that in essence, running a game that is included in their "Potato Sack" is equivalent to providing a CPU for GLaDOS to use to speed her boot up process. The sooner she boots up, the sooner Portal 2 is released. Amnesia is one of the Potato Sack games, so if you were to play it on Steam, or even just load it up and minimise, you'd be contributing more "processing power" to help speed things along.

Clear enough yet?
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM by Mothhive.)
04-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Find
mattwestwick Offline

Threads: 6

oh thats how it works. I was thinking it was potato powered i.e. how many potatoes people had achieved, indicating we were supposed to buy all the games to boot up Gladys. heh

And I thought valve didn't like idlers.
04-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9

Huh? What is wrong with his English? It's much better than yours, Fomzo the troll.

Secondly, Justine is currently a steam-exclusive expansion to the game. As Mothhive said, you can help Portal 2 be released sooner.
After the release of Portal 2, it will server no more purpose to be exclusive to steam (well, nearly none), and all the non-steam buyers will get access to it as well.

And to my understanding, you are a non-steam buyer.
04-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Find
Mothhive Offline

(04-15-2011, 08:40 PM)mattwestwick Wrote: oh thats how it works. I was thinking it was potato powered i.e. how many potatoes people had achieved, indicating we were supposed to buy all the games to boot up Gladys. heh

And I thought valve didn't like idlers.

The potatoes may yet play a role since the total number collected is shown at the bottom of the page I linked, but if they do, it isn't clear what yet. I think the only thing people can agree on for now is that playing these games brings the release closer.

(04-15-2011, 08:40 PM)Tottel Wrote: Huh? What is wrong with his English? It's much better than yours, Fomzo the troll.

lol Thanks! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2011, 08:54 PM by Mothhive.)
04-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Find
p0rtalthinker Offline

Just saw this this morning. Gonna launch SMB and Amnesia for a couple of hours to help the cause Smile

Oh and btw your English is fantastic @Mothhive

04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Find
Mothhive Offline

lol Thanks

It is my first and only language though, and I've been speaking it damn near 30 years, so I'd hope I would've mastered it by now! Tongue
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Find
Sessika Offline

Threads: 0

Ah, so it's actually the gameplay time then? I thought it was completion of something within the game, i.e. - finishing Justine for Amnesia.
Fomzo, I know you and all the other non-steam players are feeling miffed they don't get to play Justine at the same time as steam players but it is promotional for Portal 2, so you have to let valve make thier use of it first. Playing it outside of steam would not contribute to GLaDOS's cpu count, so it would be wasted in that respect.
04-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Find
Arvuti Offline

Threads: 10

you get a potato if you complete justine with
Spoiler below!
pretty much 100%ing it and saving all the guys
(This post was last modified: 04-15-2011, 11:09 PM by Arvuti.)
04-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Find