Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Would you like to see more expansions for Amnesia?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, I want more short stories like Justine.
20.00%
14 20.00%
Yes, make a true expansion similar in length to the original game.
15.71%
11 15.71%
Yes, but make it a sequel to the original.
7.14%
5 7.14%
I DON'T CARE WHAT IT IS, I NEED MORE AMNESIA!!!
41.43%
29 41.43%
No, quit while you're ahead FG and save the money for your next game.
14.29%
10 14.29%
Hell no, Justine sucked.
1.43%
1 1.43%
Total 70 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

More Expansions?
house Offline

Threads: 11
RE: More Expansions?

What I'd like is a portal 2 related expansion pack. Big Grin
04-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Find
vergilmaycry Offline

Threads: 1

(04-18-2011, 01:59 AM)SHODANFreeman Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 10:48 PM)vergilmaycry Wrote: the direction of the stellar Shattered Memories

You mean no horror at all until the game says "MONSTERS, RUN!"? Tongue

Horror isn't simply running from a clear source of danger. That's a cheap short-lasting thrill like you see in Doom 3. long-lasting horror is looking at something and seeing it slightly shift before you in a subtle and disturbing way. In Shattered Memories, the messages you get from your daughter are slightly altered with tone to completely change meaning - was the party a good time or wa she drugged and raped? Based on minor change in YOUR actions, your own family life teeters between a healthy marriage, an abusive wife scenario, or a cheating husband by giving you notes and tidbits subtly hinting at all of the above until one of the reveals.

The monsters that most people love to hate are well done, too, but from a different perspective than Amnesia. Instead of being threats, they wait for you to fall and comfort you. They sit around you in warmth before the screen fades. I found that so eerie that I had chills down my spine (read: horror). Also, the monsters shift to reflect your nature as a player - I've seen abstract creatures in cerebral playthroughs, and sexualized (breasts, high heels) if your mannerisms have more sexual connotations.
Sorry for double post, can't get scrolling to work right on my phone.

The frozen chase scenes are predictable from a gameplay perspective, but look at them as a storytelling device rather than simply a mandatory 'exciting part' in a game. The appeared right before a truth was revealed and had monsters whose sole purpose was to console you and keep you from going further. It's classic symbolism of safety in the familiar vs knowledge but possible danger in the unknown.

I might be totally out of the norm here, but this genre resonates with me because of a lot of symbolism and underlying messages, rather than direct scares. After all, the scariest things in the world are us - people.

Tl;dr - horror is about subtle discomfort via atmospheric immersion rather than a concrete 'monster' or obstacle to overcome.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2011, 10:04 AM by vergilmaycry.)
04-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Find
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13

As long as my comp can handle it and as long as it's well done, I'll take anything from Frictional.

That said, I would like to see a full expansion/sequel/prequel to Amnesia, because so many things were left unexplained and unanswered.

Spoiler below!
Like: what did Alexander do to deserve banishment? What happened to Daniel after the game? How in the world did Agrippa end up imprisoned in the nave if he supposedly died hundreds of miles away?

Of course if the gang just wants to answer those questions and then move on to another game, that's fine too. XD

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
04-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Find
benvereen Offline

More Amnesia PLZ! I already played through the Penumbra series (great BTW). And I tried some custom stories, but I just can't get into them. All the maps are unrealistically cluttered with so much random stuff that it affects the frame-rate. I would flip for some official custom stories. I love scary games and Amnesia is one of my new favorites but it's too short! NEED MORE!!!
04-19-2011, 02:58 AM
Find
Droopy Offline

Threads: 5

(04-18-2011, 03:41 AM)house Wrote: What I'd like is a portal 2 related expansion pack. Big Grin

I'm certain you do realize that Justine was just that.

Listen to the fear, maybe it's your friend.
04-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:Tl;dr - horror is about subtle discomfort via atmospheric immersion rather than a concrete 'monster' or obstacle to overcome.

Please don't make it sound as if that's the only kind of horror out there, because that's simply absurd, different things are scary for different people.

Quote:More Amnesia PLZ! I already played through the Penumbra series (great BTW). And I tried some custom stories, but I just can't get into them. All the maps are unrealistically cluttered with so much random stuff that it affects the frame-rate. I would flip for some official custom stories. I love scary games and Amnesia is one of my new favorites but it's too short! NEED MORE!!!

I beg to differ, there are a number of custom stories that are completely stellar, while unfinished or buggy, they have quite frequently made me shat metaphorical bricks(thankfully not literally shat them).

As for the rest of this thread, the idea of more Amnesia content from FG has me excited, I currently cannot wait to get Justine and play it.

Though I'm certain that's something no sane individual would want to do...I'm of the opinion playing Amnesia beginning to end takes a special kind of crazy.
04-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Website Find
james5272 Offline

I'd rather see them push forward with new projects. The DLC was nice but I need new content, new tilesets, new atmosphere.
04-19-2011, 03:49 AM
Find
benvereen Offline

(04-19-2011, 03:44 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
Quote:Tl;dr - horror is about subtle discomfort via atmospheric immersion rather than a concrete 'monster' or obstacle to overcome.

Please don't make it sound as if that's the only kind of horror out there, because that's simply absurd, different things are scary for different people.

Quote:More Amnesia PLZ! I already played through the Penumbra series (great BTW). And I tried some custom stories, but I just can't get into them. All the maps are unrealistically cluttered with so much random stuff that it affects the frame-rate. I would flip for some official custom stories. I love scary games and Amnesia is one of my new favorites but it's too short! NEED MORE!!!

I beg to differ, there are a number of custom stories that are completely stellar, while unfinished or buggy, they have quite frequently made me shat metaphorical bricks(thankfully not literally shat them).

As for the rest of this thread, the idea of more Amnesia content from FG has me excited, I currently cannot wait to get Justine and play it.

Though I'm certain that's something no sane individual would want to do...I'm of the opinion playing Amnesia beginning to end takes a special kind of crazy.

I didn't mean to insult the Custom Story community! I'm sure there's enjoyable content out there. I gave up after trying just a few. I tried stories that had good reviews and claimed to be "complete", but they still felt... meh. I open to suggestions.
04-19-2011, 04:05 AM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

Quote:I didn't mean to insult the Custom Story community! I'm sure there's enjoyable content out there. I gave up after trying just a few. I tried stories that had good reviews and claimed to be "complete", but they still felt... meh. I open to suggestions.

I didn't say you insulted them, I just said I had a difference of opinion Wink

As for suggestions? Why not make your own?
04-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Website Find
vergilmaycry Offline

(04-19-2011, 04:13 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
Quote:I didn't mean to insult the Custom Story community! I'm sure there's enjoyable content out there. I gave up after trying just a few. I tried stories that had good reviews and claimed to be "complete", but they still felt... meh. I open to suggestions.

I didn't say you insulted them, I just said I had a difference of opinion Wink

As for suggestions? Why not make your own?

I can't speak for him/her, but I couldn't make one to save my life (without sacrificing my other projects). Not everyone's as skilled in creating atmosphere as FG, and I'm sure that many people here aren't pros at advanced computer use. Smile
(04-19-2011, 03:44 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:

It's not the only kind of horror, and I agree with you in that different things scare different people. But that wasn't what I had said. I said that horror is about atmosphere over obstacle. To use a horrible but very obvious comparison, look at Silence of the Lambs vs Die Hard. A single (couple, if you include Bill) serial killer is less of a direct obstacle than a bunch of terrorists in an enclosed space. The horror genre is built on atmosphere and making viewers uncomfortable, approaching fear from a certain perspective. You can have scary situations outside horror, like a disaster movie, a violent action film, etc. I used horror as a genre, instead of a synonym to 'fear.'
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2011, 06:32 AM by vergilmaycry.)
04-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Find