Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Great game; small pacing criticism
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21
RE: Great game; small pacing criticism

@dph314 Horror and terror are two very different things, fear did not come into it for me until the threat of monsters came into the picture, as well as the paranoia and fear that a monster MIGHT come

But being creeped/horrified, etc?

All the time
04-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Website Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

Ah I'll never forget the first time I saw one of them monsters. It definately was more than I expected, most other games being to blame. Wasn't just having the screen pan to a monster and that's it. The visual and audio effects that Daniel went through along with seeing it was great. I knew this would be one of my favorite games of all time right when Daniel saw that first monster.
(04-26-2011, 01:24 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: @dph314 Horror and terror are two very different things, fear did not come into it for me until the threat of monsters came into the picture, as well as the paranoia and fear that a monster MIGHT come

But being creeped/horrified, etc?

All the time

What were you referring to when you said horror and terror? Not trying to argue, just curious.
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2011, 01:49 AM by dph314.)
04-26-2011, 01:45 AM
Find
Duskofdead Offline

Threads: 1

The first time I saw a grunt in the Archive will be a moment I always remember in my long history of gaming.

Oh. My. God.

I'm sure my thoughts were ^ something like that, and I definitely felt adrenaline. The hazy dark gloom and the music and the growling and the footsteps and the haunted piano crap while exploring the archives, followed by actually getting a glimpse of a monster... that moment was terrifying. I wanted to get out of the archive so badly at that moment.

Regarding the original post & pacing, I'd agree the final quarter of the game . well, correction, there is some tension in the very very end of the game. But I'd agree in the segment between the morgue and getting all the orb pieces is more low key and lacks moments of true tension, because we spend most of that time learning about Daniel as a character. I can see why it was necessary to have the tension ease up a bit at that point so that story could be told.

I will say this, about the water monster, I spent the entire rest of the game after I somehow shakingly managed to get through the tunnel archives terrified of having to face it again later, and I just knew they'd make me do it. And the fact that you don't really have to again was a bit of a let-down for me. I hoped and prayed I wouldn't have to face it again because it was so scary, but when I never had to ... I did feel some disappointment.
04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

(04-26-2011, 06:40 PM)Duskofdead Wrote: The first time I saw a grunt in the Archive will be a moment I always remember in my long history of gaming.

Oh. My. God.

I went back to the room with the wine cellar key and hid in the closet for a good ten minutes. Tongue
04-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Find