Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

[maybe invalid] Turning wheels - very hard without cursor...
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9
RE: [maybe invalid] Turning wheels - very hard without cursor...

You don't need a cursor, and you don't need to "close the loop". Smile
All you have to do is move your mouse somewhat in a circle.
04-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Find
hiben Offline

Threads: 3

(04-26-2011, 06:03 PM)Tottel Wrote: You don't need a cursor, and you don't need to "close the loop". Smile
All you have to do is move your mouse somewhat in a circle.

Yeah... but *I do not use a mouse*!

I am using a trackball and moving your thumb to make something you cannot see move in a circle is not so easy...

But I don't care anymore:
My SDL hack is working and I now have the normal OS cursor when I click the left button on my trackball (or mouse, if I wish).

It would be nice if frictional would make it an user option to show a cursor for manipulating but it is totally up to them.

If anyone is interested in the SDL hack (and uses Linux):
It is just a small C shared library, source here:
http://pastebin.com/6q6keuTS

This is not a permanent modification to the game. I just exploit the LD_PRELOAD mechanism that allows you to override function calls from programs. When Amnesia switches off the mouse, this code actually installs a timer that checks every 10ms if the left mouse button is pressed. if so, it switches on the OS cursor, else it disables the OS cursor. This thing also works for other SDL games; tested on Supertux ;-)

Naturally this kind of modification may cause all kinds of trouble for your system. Only use it if you know what this means. I take no responsibility for any lost savegames, burning computers, sick cats or anything else that happens while you use it.

Have Fun!
04-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Find
dph314 Offline

Threads: 0

Good work.
So, just curious, I mean, newer laser mice aren't too expensive. Is there any advantage to that trackball that makes you still want to use it and go through all of that coding trouble instead of just gettin a new mouse?
Just wondering, I never had one to try gaming with.
04-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Find
hiben Offline

(04-26-2011, 07:51 PM)dph314 Wrote: Good work.
So, just curious, I mean, newer laser mice aren't too expensive. Is there any advantage to that trackball that makes you still want to use it and go through all of that coding trouble instead of just gettin a new mouse?
Just wondering, I never had one to try gaming with.

I guess this is something that is just personal taste; sure it is no cost factor. For me the greatest benefit of using a trackball is that my arm is completely at rest and I never have to lift up a mouse and reposition it to scroll further away. This also might have something to do with me using several virtual workspaces where I can drag windows to the next screen by moving it over the 'border' of the current workspace. So if I need to go several workspaces I just give the ball a healthy spin and let inertia do the rest...

A trackball is also good for keeping your relatives from messing with your computer... Wink

It's not so easy getting into it at first and it took me a bit to find the right hardware for my hand but I just like this way of pointing if I have to use a cursor. If my trackball 'dies' I am not sure if I switch to a mouse. It isn't manufactured anymore and most of the available devices don't fit so well... maybe I am just a hostage of my preferences... :-)

I'm more a keyboard guy when it comes to work but that does not extend well to first person gaming... :-)

The needed coding part was actually fun here. I was surprised that the game links against so much system libraries and when I spotted the SDL dependency I plotted my evil plan quite fast...

Ironically I found out that once I could see the cursor in game when doing the correct movement I could image to actually learn to do the movement without feedback... (by using the cursor in a sort of training phase)
04-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Find
hiben Offline

So I bought Amnesia yesterday and just finished the horrible storage section... what an adrenaline kick... Wink

But the best thing: I was training circling with the trackball and I slowly get comfortable with it... it is still a mental process but I think I can handle it.
04-30-2011, 12:29 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I'm glad you managed to adapt. You're the second person I've ever met or heard of who uses a trackball, either one of the elite or a dying breed.
04-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

I remember having a trackball when I was a really little kid.

Well, that's all I really have to add to this thread. Peace.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
04-30-2011, 04:13 AM
Website Find