Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is Linux client?
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2
RE: Where is Linux client?

The Steam store clearly indicates it's only the PC and Mac versions. You would never go to Steam for a Linux version of a game. The Frictional Store clearly indicates it's for all 3 OSes. You could contact Steam about possibly getting a refund, which they usually offer on a one-time basis per account.
04-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Find
SlothLordKarl Offline

Threads: 0

Well, I have to agree, oddly, with hayspat. I have purchased quite a few games on my Windows Steam account that will work under Linux. Natively. Generally they have a separate downloadable client, and server if needed. In fact... here's a quick and incomplete list of games you can buy on Steam and will work natively in Linux: http://steamlinux.flibitijibibo.com/inde...tive_Games
If you'll notice, none of these games say they work on Linux as Valve has no native Linux client, yet. So that's irrelevant as to what it says it'll work under.

Frictional should have made the Linux client accessible to Steam purchasers as well, so this falls in their court. I find it a bit absurd to have to buy it twice. They didn't do this with Penumbra, if I remember correctly. Well, at least with the Humble Bundles.

Either way, I think it was a bad decision on Frictional's part, but I won't hold it against them as they make great Linux versions too. I just won't buy the same game twice. And since I stopped using Windows, I guess I'll never finish Amnesia.

If you're gonna make a game multi-platform, sell a copy for all platforms.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011, 09:29 PM by SlothLordKarl.)
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

The Humble Indie Bundles explicitly claim to be compatible with all 3 OSes, whereas Steam does not make that claim. That article seems to be listing games sold on steam that also happen to have native linux clients. Are you saying that you can download, through a steam account, native linux clients for those games?
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Find
SlothLordKarl Offline

Sigh, did you read the whole thing or not? I said "Generally they have a separate downloadable client, and server if needed."

Steam does not put anything about them working on Linux as STEAM DOES NOT RUN ON LINUX. Though all of those games do.

They usually ALLOW BUYERS TO DOWNLOAD THE LINUX CLIENTS from their sites with verification, sometimes none at all.

I'm saying that Frictional should have let us use the same serial key to get the Linux clients instead of double-charging.

This isn't Steam or Valve's business nor fault, it lies solely with the developer.

Point in case, say I bought Doom 3 or Quake Wars (which I did) through Steam. I can still get the Linux clients and play the game I purchased on a different OS. Have you used Steam? While it does "install" the game into itself, there is a folder where the normal game resides and will run without Steam at all. Unless it is exclusive or a Valve game. I run lots of games bought through Steam without Steam.

I'd do more homework before talking non-sense, old son.
Oh, and my only mention of the Humble Bundle was that Frictional sold Penumbra on all three systems for one price. If I bought Penumbra on Steam and had to re-buy it to play on Linux I never would have bought Amnesia period... but I never checked. And in this case, I will probably not purchase from Frictional in the future.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2011, 12:53 AM by SlothLordKarl.)
05-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

Threads: 16

If you buy the Xbox360 version of Portal 2, do you expect to be able to play Portal 2 on your PS3 as well?

Didn't think so.

05-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

I did read your whole thing. You were ambiguous and left out a lot of info I wanted to know, which you then explained in your derisive reply. Thanks. I didn't talk nonsense, only asked you to clarify, since you appeared to be advocating pirating the Linux copy after buying it on Steam. I'm sorry if my reply seemed aggressive, but please be polite.
05-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Find
SlothLordKarl Offline

Aaaaannnd... I'm back.

@xiphirx - That is a massively ridiculous question. We are talking about two different OS's on the same machine, not two different OS and machines and structure. Your question is irrelevant to this conversation. Be snarky when you have a valid point.

@hollowleviathan - Sorry, you seemed to be missing the point. I am not advocating piracy, so I'm not sure where you got that from. Companies willing give the Linux clients up, no one steals them. Or can you explain that better?
05-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Find
xiphirx Offline

It has a point. When you buy from steam, it's like buying for a specific console. Doesn't matter if its the same machine, its a difference in OSs. Steam is strictly PC and Mac. I wouldn't expect to get linux versions of games by buying them from steam would I? No, just like I wouldn't expect my Xbox 360 disc to work in a PS3.

You're the one being snarky here, don't expect anything else than what you give.

05-13-2011, 05:22 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

(05-13-2011, 01:41 AM)xiphirx Wrote: If you buy the Xbox360 version of Portal 2, do you expect to be able to play Portal 2 on your PS3 as well?

Didn't think so.

Even though that's true and it is illegal, it's this kind of mentality in the gaming industry that has tarnished it. Game companies trying to get exclusivity for their consoles, console wars between fans and companies, etc. It is ridiculous to have to buy a game twice, and there should be a universal system to transfer between game systems. But alas, capitalism takes over. If I have a game and need it on another console for some reason, I won't pay for it.
(This post was last modified: 05-13-2011, 05:38 PM by MrBigzy.)
05-13-2011, 05:37 PM
Find
xiphirx Offline

MrBigzy, SlothLordKarl's whole argument that since Amnesia is multi-platform, how come they don't offer all three releases when you buy it off of steam.

My example shows another multi-platform game, Portal 2. You don't expect it to run on a PS3 when you buy it for Xbox 360 do you?

Same thing here. He bought it for steam, which is PC and Mac only. You don't expect it to run on Linux if you buy the PC and Mac versions. It's common sense.

And no, game companies are not obliged to provide Linux clients to people who buy it through a method that is meant only for PC and Mac versions. If you really wanted the Linux version, or all three for that matter, you would have bought it straight from Frictional.

05-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Find