Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
August Twilight Demo!!
dragonlordsd Offline

Threads: 7
August Twilight Demo!!

Alright, I've finally finished my first demo map!!!

Here it is:
.zip   August Twilight.zip (Size: 522.85 KB / Downloads: 224)
First, I'd like to give major thanks to Acies and Apjjm,
Without whose help I could never have finished this.

It's just one map right now, takes about 15-20 minutes to get the last key, which will open the level change doors. Which of course causes the game to crash, because there aren't any other maps yet.

Just to warn you there are not:
Monsters
Music
Custom Loading Screens

Yet. I'm still working on them.

All comments, opinions, and feedback appreciated, even if it's just "there's a typo in message so and so."

Here are some screenshots:

.jpg   2011-05-08_00002.jpg (Size: 104.57 KB / Downloads: 185)

.jpg   2011-05-08_00001.jpg (Size: 78.51 KB / Downloads: 193)

.jpg   2011-05-05_00003.jpg (Size: 115.02 KB / Downloads: 185)
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 11:27 PM by dragonlordsd.)
05-08-2011, 05:35 AM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5
RE: August Twilight Demo!!

ok then First bug

[Image: buggk.th.jpg]
cant take that key and note.

and cant opened that door, have only meat (what for it?)
[Image: 123nyx.th.jpg]
any way, impressive map, espesially broken ceiling

. texture bug
[Image: 35112399.th.jpg]
i can see door!Big Grin
05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

So I played through your map (sort of, I didnt feel like wandering around trying to find stuff so i used level editor to find keys ^^). I am going to give some critique, in hope it is constructive.

First of all, my framerates dropped a little at some points, I checked the map in the editor and noticed you used only 14 point lights in the whole map. Using only light entities to make a room look bright is bound to lag. And without connecting the lamps into point lights, the lighting looks unnatural (if you don't spam 10 lamps in a single room). Even though you explained the reason for the lit lamps there are still so many Big Grin
Then there was no box light in the map, meaning the dark spots in the rooms look unnatural (it could be fixed with point lights too ofc, but single box light helps a lot).
I didn't feel like going throughout on the letters, but I think I got the most out and its good stuff you have come up with. First I was confused by the amount of names, and i didn't know who I was until that one letter that explained a lot of whats happening.
There was some minor placement problems what Dark Knight found too, some of the lights shined through walls and such. Also try using fixed axis billboards for the windows. Its more work but when done right, it can look awesome.

But man did you do a good job placing entities! I loved the amount of detailed shelves all around the place (I know very well how painful it is to put books into shelves!) and where ever I looked there was something. But even with the sheer amount of stuff you placed it still looked natural.

In the end I think you are off to a good start with this. The story is something little different to the most seen here. Just do some minor tweaking to the lighting and it could become even more atmospheric. Don't give up on this and have fun mapping.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 12:20 PM by Khyrpa.)
05-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Find
dragonlordsd Offline

Alright, I'm going to make a few fixes, hopefully I'll have a new verison up later today.

to Dark Knight:

Arrghhh!! That stupid wall safe always glitches!!!
Umm... try opening the cabinet door floating in mid air. I'll remove it in just a bit.

As for the door, you're not supposed to be able to open it. Actually, it's supposed to be a level door leading to Damian's gallery, which I haven't made yet.

Thanks to both of you for your comments and feedback!!!!! Smile
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 02:57 PM by dragonlordsd.)
05-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Find
Subject153 Offline

Threads: 3

Ok thanks for the post in the thread! Also no problem about the monsters
I do not think my heart can take any more scares! XD
Will download and get back to you! Big Grin
05-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Find
Shadowfied Offline

Threads: 34

I'm stuck with the
Spoiler below!
jar of blood.
What do I need to do?

Ok I found a
Spoiler below!
jar of cuprite
but still no clue what to do..
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 05:28 PM by Shadowfied.)
05-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Find
dragonlordsd Offline

Use the jar of blood on the skulls. It's referenced in the "Replication" note.

Umm.. some of the items, like the jar of cuprite and the raw meat, are just part of the scenery. They don't actually do anything.

I need to figure out how to make them static objects.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 06:00 PM by dragonlordsd.)
05-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Find
Shadowfied Offline

What skulls?

Also sorry for asking these questions if the solutions are in the notes. I skipped them because I found them way too long and I wasn't in the mood to get into a story, hehe.

Edit: I haven't even found that note yet..
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 06:16 PM by Shadowfied.)
05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Find
dragonlordsd Offline

Haha... yeah, they do get a little lengthy. The puzzle is actually explained in another thread, when I was working with Acies and Apjjm to figure out how to program it. I'll give you a link in a sec.
Here it is: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-7823.html

Alright, I updated the map, added some character profile notes in the archives, fixed the door and the floor that DarkKnight referenced.

As for the lights, Khyrpa is absolutely correct, they did seem really weird. Unfortunately, I've never really learned how to use lights, so I have no idea how to fix them. I'll try my best, though.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM by dragonlordsd.)
05-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Find
Shadowfied Offline

I have not seen that room with the skulls. I have no keys either and I've searched all rooms that are open / that I have opened. Is there a hidden key somewhere which I might have missed?
05-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Find