Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to Use/Make Billboards [TUTORIAL]
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
Information  How to Use/Make Billboards [TUTORIAL]

How to Use/Make Billboards

Side note: If the pictures don't work, click the link next to each one. Smile

Firstly, you need to have a window that you are going to use adding billboards. If you have already added light to it, keep it. On the left side of the editor, there is a button called "Billboards". Click it. On the right side of the editor next to "Material", there is a "...". Click it.

The first one on the list is "billboards". Select it and click OK. Select "bb_yellow_lightray.mat" and then click OK.

Place one of them and move them up to your window. Keep them a little away from the window. The way the arrow is pointing should be pointing in the opposite direction to the way you want the billboard to shine through the window. With it still selected, under "Billboard Type", set it to "Axis". Change the size based on the length you want of the billboard to shine. The first number for size edits it's width. It is best to keep it at 1. Keep the second number to at least 10, for this determines it's length. Click on the little white box that labels "Color". Click it. Change it based on the color of the window. If it's yellow, hit cancel without editing the color. If you want it to be for a blue window, set R to 0.5, set G to 0.7, and set B to 0.9. Keep A at 1. Click OK and the color of it should change.

Make sure the billboard is barely visible when looking at the window when the lights are on. Match the billboard to a seperate section box of the window. Copy the billboard with the shortkey or do it manually. The shortcut is "CTRL-D" while the object is selected. Move the billboard to another box that hasn't already been taken up by a billboard. If you have curtains, make sure you don't put a billboard in the ones that are covered.

Once that's done, you can click on "Particle Systems" on the left side of the editor. And next to "PS File" on the right side, click on the "...".
Go find the "particles" folder and find "ps_light_dust_large.ps". Select it and then click "Load file".

Place 1 of them right inside of the window. There you go! Now you should know how to use use/make billboards. If you have any questions, comments,
or concerns, post them here and I'll answer them. I added a light and this is how it looks now. Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2011, 10:32 PM by Kyle.)
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10
RE: How to Use/Make Billboards [TUTORIAL]

This is not exactly what I was going to do, so I will most likely do another one with a bit more detail and different variations of billboard action.
05-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36

(05-13-2011, 07:17 AM)Khyrpa Wrote: This is not exactly what I was going to do, so I will most likely do another one with a bit more detail and different variations of billboard action.

It's quite simple. I'm suprised you can't figure that out. Yes, there are multiple kinds of windows. You just simply put a billboard where there is a space on the window. If it's something like a crack in the ceiling, then you simply put billboards in it. I know it takes time to digest this, but once you get the hang of it, you learn to be more efficent.

05-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Find
laser50 Offline

Threads: 22

Kyle, Put the link between [img][/img]

It will fix the images Smile

(and please no spoiler thingy Tongue makes everything easier to follow.)
05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Find