Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Specular map creation with GIMP
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
Specular map creation with GIMP

Hey guys, haven't been on here for a while! I need to create a high-quality specular map for some textures. I use GIMP currently but cannot find a tutorial that walks me through the creation of a specular map with GIMP. I have found ones that give me greyscale spec maps but those don't seem to be what I'm looking for.

I've looked at the Amnesia files and there are many different types of specular maps they use. What sorts of methods might I use to manipulate the diffuse/normal map textures to create a decent specular map? I do understand that different materials require different methods, and it would be asking too much for someone to write out the procedure on this thread, but if anyone knows any links to beginner guides for GIMP let me know! Thanks!

05-14-2011, 06:36 AM
Find
DonProtz Offline

Threads: 15
RE: Specular map creation with GIMP

hey palistov, hmm dont really know what you are searching for ^^
take a look here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=119532.0
you can give the specular a color so it will shine in this color...
hmm you could try CrazyBump, its easy and you get good results, iam using it too because iam a beginner in texturing
normal maps are getting better in Zbrush or baked in blender, but CrazyBump can do it too. Hope I can help you a bit
regards

Hello my friend, stay a while and listen
05-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Find