Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Wasn't Expecting That... (Possible Spoilers)
eiahmon Offline

Threads: 13
Wasn't Expecting That... (Possible Spoilers)

So a few days ago, I bought a copy of Amnesia for a friend of mine, and we were playing it over Skype. Since it was my fifth playthrough I didn't expect the game to surprise me. How wrong I was.

Spoiler below!
So the two of us were going through Storage, and like usual I built my little barrier to hide behind at the top of the stairs near the rockfall for when the grunt spawned in that area later, and I advised my friend to do the same. So we continued on, picked up the rods, and I told her how we would have to sneak past the first grunt to get out. So I crouched just inside the door and waited for him to leave the room with the large torch in the center of the floor. I heard him hissing and such out there, and then he walked right into the room with me, something that he has never done before, saw me crouched there on the floor, and killed me. First time I have ever died in Storage.

After I had respawned, I was creeping along behind him, and we he went into the long room with the ledge running down the middle, I was expecting him to go left like he had in previous playthroughs, so I could go right. Instead he went right, and then turned around and walked right back into the room with me! Second time I have ever died in Storage.

Finally I got through the area where I had to blast the rock fall, and I crept up behind my barrier and waited for ugly to turn around so I could run past him. Instead he knocked my barrier over by walking into it and that was the third time I have ever died in Storage.

Oddly enough, he knocked my friend's barrier down too, but she was able to run and hide and he eventually despawned on her game, which I didn't think he did.

So much later, we were creeping through the Choir. Everything was going great, neither one of us had died or been spotted by Mr. Tall, and we had just left the second torture room and were heading over to the broken pillar to go across the chasm. I warned her that the brute was going to spawn once we turned the corner, and when he did, we ducked into hiding places to wait. He vanished in my game on short order. On hers, he stuck around for damn near ten minutes, before she was killed trying to get up on the pillar. When she respawned, he was gone, and she was able to get across.

After we had gotten through the final torture room, we were creeping along the wall to the chasm, where we were going to turn lefft and follow it to the bridge that was in front of the level exit. I made it to the chasm with no trouble. She practically ran into a brute's legs, and she was able to safely scramble behind a pillar, and he left the area shortly afterward.

After all that, I couldn't help but wondering, were those things always in the game, and I had just never experienced them before, or where they changes caused by the Justine patch? This was my first playthrough since installing it, and my friend had installed it right after installing the main game.

Anyone else had any moments where the game did the unexpected?

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
05-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Find
Fomzo Offline

RE: Wasn't Expecting That... (Possible Spoilers)

Errrrrrrr.....correct me if I'm wrong, but your post sound like if you and your friend were playing via co-opBig Grin
05-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Find
KenOfAllTrades Offline

Threads: 2

(05-25-2011, 07:14 PM)Fomzo Wrote: Errrrrrrr.....correct me if I'm wrong, but your post sound like if you and your friend were playing via co-opBig Grin

Apparently, he was just playing with somebody side by side over Skype

I probably made a LP of this! Youtube channel here!
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2011, 10:27 PM by KenOfAllTrades.)
05-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Find
eiahmon Offline

(05-25-2011, 10:27 PM)KenOfAllTrades Wrote:
(05-25-2011, 07:14 PM)Fomzo Wrote: Errrrrrrr.....correct me if I'm wrong, but your post sound like if you and your friend were playing via co-opBig Grin

Apparently, he was just playing with somebody side by side over Skype

Yes, we were. XD Skype makes everything more fun, especially listening to the person on the other end freaking out. XD

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
05-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Find
NyteMyre Offline

Threads: 5

On a side note, why do people use Skype when you have ventrillo and teamspeak?
05-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Find
Serena Offline

(05-26-2011, 11:33 PM)NyteMyre Wrote: On a side note, why do people use Skype when you have ventrillo and teamspeak?

Because you can talk to an individual without the need of finding a hosted server that will permit you and your friend to even hang out there.

For example the guild I'm with in the MMO I play uses vent, but my friends outside the guild I must use skype to verbally chat with.

Unless you're hosting your own public vent server, skype is far more convenient for 1 on 1 chat.
05-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Skype is also free to use, like mumble.
05-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Find