Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spoiler Stuck on Cistern stage; valves won't budge
gregarious24 Offline

Threads: 1
Stuck on Cistern stage; valves won't budge

Can anyone help me with this Cistern stage? Both of my valves won't budge (like you'll see at around 6:15 in this video), yet I'm still showing all 3 mementos as displayed at 6:38 in the same vid.

The valve that should be moving for me is shown at 7:05...but again, it won't budge an inch. I've tried rotating both of them, clockwise and counter-clockwise, many times now to no avail. Could this be a glitch in the game or have I just missed something along the way?

I've really been enjoying the game so far, so this is extremely frustrating for me. If anyone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: Added a "Spoiler" prefix to the thread title so that tags will not be necessary.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2011, 03:35 AM by gregarious24.)
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
RE: Stuck on Cistern stage; valves won't budge

Spoiler below!
There are three valves you need to rotate, in case you missed on of them
05-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Website Find
gregarious24 Offline

(05-30-2011, 12:28 PM)jens Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Hmmm. Perhaps I haven't made myself clear, but the person who uploaded that walkthrough video only needed to rotate two valves in order to drain the sewer, excluding the steam shut-off valve. I've rotated those same valves (they won't turn at all anymore), yet my sewer still is not drained.

I've reexamined that walkthrough vid from the very beginning of this stage and have re-traced my steps in full, but I simply cannot find a way around this problem. If anyone knows specifically where I'm going wrong, please don't hesitate to spell it out for me.

EDIT: Just wanted to give thanks to jens / Frictional. Amnesia's the first game to keep my attention since Half-Life 2. Much appreciated.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2011, 03:55 AM by gregarious24.)
05-31-2011, 03:33 AM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

(05-31-2011, 03:33 AM)gregarious24 Wrote: Hmmm. Perhaps I haven't made myself clear, but the person who uploaded that walkthrough video only needed to rotate two valves in order to drain the sewer, excluding the steam shut-off valve. I've rotated those same valves (they won't turn at all anymore), yet my sewer still is not drained.
There are certainly 3 you need to rotate:
Spoiler below!

Quick note
You can see which valve you have yet to turn as after turning each valve the lights in that area are extinguished. Take the path with the lights that aren't extinguished and turn that valve off - as that is the path you have yet to complete. If I recall correctly, the valves you want to turn are all numbered, and some have notes and diary entries next to them.

Where each path is
Facing the direction from where you enter the paths are:
To the left:
  • Knock down the bridge
  • Navigate the walkway and the rubble
  • Valve should be waiting to be turned
To the right:
  • Go up the stairs then straight ahead until you can go no further
  • Turn left and the valve should be waiting
Straight ahead:
  • Get past the steam
  • (Optional) Turn the steam off with a valve (This is a different valve!)
  • keep going along this path and the valve will again be at the end.

If you are certain you are stuck and the game has glitched here I would advise doing the other areas in the cistern and posting up your save file, so I (or somebody else here) can attempt to finish the puzzle, or provide you with a fixed save.

(This post was last modified: 05-31-2011, 11:28 AM by Apjjm.)
05-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Find
Clord Offline

Threads: 7

(05-31-2011, 03:33 AM)gregarious24 Wrote:
(05-30-2011, 12:28 PM)jens Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Hmmm. Perhaps I haven't made myself clear, but the person who uploaded that walkthrough video only needed to rotate two valves in order to drain the sewer, excluding the steam shut-off valve. I've rotated those same valves (they won't turn at all anymore), yet my sewer still is not drained.

I've reexamined that walkthrough vid from the very beginning of this stage and have re-traced my steps in full, but I simply cannot find a way around this problem. If anyone knows specifically where I'm going wrong, please don't hesitate to spell it out for me.

EDIT: Just wanted to give thanks to jens / Frictional. Amnesia's the first game to keep my attention since Half-Life 2. Much appreciated.

You should pay attention to your surroundings more than just what walkthrough tells you and realize that walkthroughts are not always right and you should probably notify the author of the mistake in it.
05-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Find
gregarious24 Offline

I can only assume you're referring to the rocks around the bridge. I actually noticed those right away, but I have a very difficult time throwing anything accurately, so I didn't think that would be the method to cut the chain. Plus, as I said earlier, whoever made that walkthrough video seemingly never needed to cross the bridge, so I'd really put it in the back of my mind.

But if you all agree that, in order to get the sewer drained, I've gotta keep hurling rocks at that chain, hoping to eventually connect so I can get to that third valve on the other side, then that's what I'll do.
05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Find
Apjjm Offline
Is easy to say

Threads: 18

Turn the crosshair on in the options, pick up a small rock, walk right up to the bridge and line the rock up with the centre of the chain - it should be impossible to miss if you line it up.
05-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

I feel like I only hit the bridge itself with a rock, not specifically the chain. Everyone is so sure it's the chain I'm doubting my memory.
05-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(05-31-2011, 10:54 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I feel like I only hit the bridge itself with a rock, not specifically the chain. Everyone is so sure it's the chain I'm doubting my memory.

both work if i recall
06-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Website Find
Serena Offline

Threads: 2

(06-01-2011, 12:11 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote:
(05-31-2011, 10:54 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote: I feel like I only hit the bridge itself with a rock, not specifically the chain. Everyone is so sure it's the chain I'm doubting my memory.

both work if i recall

Another option is to lower the bridge to it's halfway 'stuck' point, and then hit the lever to raise the other bridge - run onto it as its raising and take a running leap onto the 'stuck' bridge - this will lower the bridge as well.

As for the three valves inside the cistern proper, there definitely are three valves.
06-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Find