Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Announcement Taking key-door puzzles to the next level.
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
Video  Taking key-door puzzles to the next level.

Hello my friends. I am here to make an announcement. Throwing keys at a door does NOT make them open. Seriously! I just tried it right now! It has something to do with keyholes, tumblers, locking mechanisms, etc. Anyways, here's some video coverage on this breaking news:

ModDB video
YouTube video

On a serious note, this took me hours of coding to get right. I really hope you guys appreciate this simple addition to gameplay...for now this will be exclusively in my own maps. I take realism very seriously, and I want my mod to feel as real as possible (with the exception of having you actually REALLY seriously getting mauled by a brute. That would suck.) Maybe I'll release the script so you guys can add it to your mods. Maybe. It's a LOT of work and EVERYTHING has to be right or it bugs out. The script is not explicit, a term I use here to refer to the script directly referencing each door/key. It is implicit, meaning I could copy the script to another map and it will work perfectly as long as the entities are named/placed correctly. This fact I am very proud of, as it makes the script VERY clean and easy to use Smile

Yes I know the doors don't have visible keyholes but gimme a break Smile I'll probably end up doing a re-texture of all the doors with keyholes anyways. Eventually.

I will try to make the keys more visible once they're in the keyhole. Perhaps a small, dim point light to get the player's attention.

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2011, 09:45 AM by palistov.)
06-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Find
Greven Offline

Threads: 13
RE: Taking key-door puzzles to the next level.

Niiiiiiiccccce!

Keep up the good work! Smile

[WIP] Recidivus
06-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Yeah I'm probably use this on chests and other things like that. The game seems to boring when there's not a bunch of zombies chasing you, so I decided to make it more interactive.

If you have any suggestions for what I could do next, feel free to send them my way Smile

06-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Find
bobbo Offline

Threads: 1

Good job of course! But: Will this mean the player will run around with every key he finds in the inventory, having to try each one on every locked door to find out the right one every time?
06-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Find
WatzUpzPeepz Offline

Threads: 12

Well done,this has just made Amnesia a little bit more interactive,I hope to see more mods like this from the community in the future!

06-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Bobbo: Of course not, the key-door relationships will be obvious; they will be named accordingly. I just made this so the game will, as WatzUpzPeepz said, be more interactive. I also plan to use this technique in a puzzle, but this is the first step Smile

06-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

I've exhausted about every option to bug this out. I'm pretty sure there's no way you can break this anymore. Hopefully. Smile

06-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Find
Exostalker Offline

Threads: 10

Very nice idea!

06-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Find
Simpanra Offline

Threads: 28

Try making a huge level door that requires four keys (dotted around the map) to be in the correct "keyholes" in the huge level door =) That would be impressive and hopefully not too dissimilar to the script you are currently using, it would just require a "local int" and maybe some "If"s.

Hope you have fun ^_^

Edd,
06-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Simprana, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Except with 3 keys Smile Yeahhhh no worries about the variables and if statements. There are about 20 if statements........The script is crazyyyy.

06-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Find