Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Going to start on a Penumbra-related project, wanna join?
willochill Offline

Threads: 27
Going to start on a Penumbra-related project, wanna join?

Using Everlone's tutorial on converting files from Penumbra into the HPL2 Engine (which can be found here- http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...a+tutorial) I am planning to create a project based on Penumbra.
I loved the Penumbra series, I was in love with it from the start. But I must admit, the part that I was really incredibly passionate about with the Penumbra series is the beginning of the first game, when you are stuck in the old part of the mine, with no lights and no pickaxe. That was real atmosphere, and something about the atmosphere of the way they created it still gives me the chills, not only because (in my opinion) it was creepier than the rest of the game, but because there was just an incredible feel to that part of the game that felt strange and interesting.
So, this is what I plan to do: I plan to convert a good amount of the files from Overture (and maybe a few from Black Plague) and create a giant custom story almost as long as an actual game would be, using the environments and atmosphere based on the first part of Overture. No pickaxes, no lights to illuminate the mine. Anyone interested in joining me on this project, please let me know.
(The photo I attached is just a photo of the old mine with some strange light, to give a reference of what I mean by "the old mine".)

Attached Files
.jpg   PenumbraOvertureOldMine.jpg (Size: 22.44 KB / Downloads: 150)
06-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Find
Henriksen Offline

Threads: 71
RE: Going to start on a Penumbra-related project, wanna join?

(06-05-2011, 04:50 PM)willochill Wrote: Using Everlone's tutorial on converting files from Penumbra into the HPL2 Engine (which can be found here- http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...a+tutorial) I am planning to create a project based on Penumbra.
I loved the Penumbra series, I was in love with it from the start. But I must admit, the part that I was really incredibly passionate about with the Penumbra series is the beginning of the first game, when you are stuck in the old part of the mine, with no lights and no pickaxe. That was real atmosphere, and something about the atmosphere of the way they created it still gives me the chills, not only because (in my opinion) it was creepier than the rest of the game, but because there was just an incredible feel to that part of the game that felt strange and interesting.
So, this is what I plan to do: I plan to convert a good amount of the files from Overture (and maybe a few from Black Plague) and create a giant custom story almost as long as an actual game would be, using the environments and atmosphere based on the first part of Overture. No pickaxes, no lights to illuminate the mine. Anyone interested in joining me on this project, please let me know.
(The photo I attached is just a photo of the old mine with some strange light, to give a reference of what I mean by "the old mine".)

I absoloutly loved Penumbra too Big Grin
And it would be awesome to help you, but then we would need to create custom walls? Cause the levels there are not built up by many walls its a big scene made with a 3d modeling program i think.

06-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Find
willochill Offline

oh it is?
well i don't think it would be too difficult to create some custom walls. some of the walls in the cellarbase in hpl2 actually look quite like the ones in the old part of the mine. but i'd still like to make some custom ones. however i'm more of a level editor and scripter, i don't really know squat about modelling. but if we needed to there's tons of modellers out there that we coudl request some walls from.
06-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Find
Henriksen Offline

Yeah, but right now im trying to learn to model Smile
06-05-2011, 05:00 PM
Find
willochill Offline

oh alright. well that's convenient! if you want to join me, now that i think about i could really use a modeller.
06-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Find
Henriksen Offline

(06-05-2011, 05:18 PM)willochill Wrote: oh alright. well that's convenient! if you want to join me, now that i think about i could really use a modeller.

Yeah I want to join you, but I'll have to concentrate on my story first tho :/
06-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Find
willochill Offline

(06-05-2011, 05:19 PM)teddifisk Wrote:
(06-05-2011, 05:18 PM)willochill Wrote: oh alright. well that's convenient! if you want to join me, now that i think about i could really use a modeller.

Yeah I want to join you, but I'll have to concentrate on my story first tho :/

me too, i'm working on one myself and i'd like to get ahead with that. the penumbra project is more of something i'm planning for the future.
06-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Find
Leu Radu Offline

Threads: 1

If you want to make this project, you might want to check the work of Googolplex:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-5929.html
06-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Find