Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

i looking for horror games for inspiration...
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85
i looking for horror games for inspiration...

hi there! i made this thread so people might share whit me some scary games for inspiration to my amnesia custom story...

so horror games i have already played: Amnesia the dark descent (including many custom stories), i played the Penumbra demo, Dead space, Dead space 2 (not that scary but whatever)... and right now i am playing F.E.A.R (hell i thought this game was scary! even minecraft gave me heart attacks that F.E.A.R could only wish to give me!) but some people say the story is very good and the sequel is much scarier so i'll keep playing it for now...

games i am looking forward to try: The Silent hill games, as many say it is the scariest games ever made...

and it is kinda it for now Tongue yeah not exactly the largest list of horror games ever but it is my list so... do you know eny other horror games that you think i should try?
06-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
RE: i looking for horror games for inspiration...

You didn't play Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Siren & Fatal Frame series? These are must. Also Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is another must.
Suffering, Thief, Condemned also should be tried.

Some good horror mods for HL1 & HL2 out there.

These are I though of at the moment.

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM by Tanshaydar.)
06-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

When you only played the Demo of Penumbra, you should take a glance of the full game.
I would hope, that there are some other games like this kind of horror/puzzle games. But as I know, there are no others. Penumbra & Amnesia are the only ones, that are good horror games (for me).
I'm searching for some others, but I could never find them.

So, I can not list an other horror game, but I have a small one with some puzzles and not only with shooting monsters.
Shade: Wrath Of Angels

And if you search a great game with full of puzzles, then try this one:
Indiana Jones and the infernal machine

I played this and as a fan of Penumbra, I loved the puzzles in Indiana Jones. The game is full of hard puzzles!
A very good adventure!
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 06:35 PM by Googolplex.)
06-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(06-21-2011, 05:51 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: You didn't play Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Siren & Fatal Frame series? These are must. Also Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is another must.
Suffering, Thief, Condemned also should be tried.

Some good horror mods for HL1 & HL2 out there.

These are I though of at the moment.

i haven't play resident evil (though i know it very well) because i just don't like it :/ they look to much like some crazy japonese shoter (we can't walk while amming? WTF?!) zombies whit ocyopos mouths and strange looking monsters whit claws almost bigger then themselfs... sorry if its offends fans of RE but it just looks like some silly "horror game" whit silly monsters crawling all over the place... the movies didn't help either...

fatal frame is familier to! and i am actualy interested
siren... never eard of it... have too google it Tongue

thank you for the reply Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 06:18 PM by Danny Boy.)
06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(06-21-2011, 06:17 PM)Danarogon Wrote: i haven't play resident evil (though i know it very well) because i just don't like it :/ they look to much like some crazy japonese shoter (we can't walk while amming? WTF?!) zombies whit ocyopos mouths and strange looking monsters whit claws almost bigger then themselfs... sorry if its offends fans of RE but it just looks like some silly "horror game" whit silly monsters crawling all over the place... the movies didn't help either...

Sorry but if you are talking about Resident Evil 5, I think you are just being a ...whatever.
When someone tells you about a series, do you always go and look at the latest entry, or first entries?
Resident Evil 5 is not a horror game. It's Tomb Raider with RE characters.
You said you know it very well, but it seems you know nothing at all. This many people cannot be fan of the series because of a cr*p like RE5...

(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM by Tanshaydar.)
06-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Website Find
GetAgrippa Offline

Threads: 2

I second Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, my favorite game of all time. Not a horror though.

If Fate frowns, we all perish.
06-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

@GetAgrippa

Yes, if you like Penumbra, you also should like Indiana Jones and the infernal machine. It is not a horror game, but it has many creepy moments too and is full of puzzles.
One of the best games for me too.

We should be friendsBig Grin
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2011, 06:43 PM by Googolplex.)
06-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

the best idea for making a good story is watching some good old horror films

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
06-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Find
Leu Radu Offline

Threads: 1

(06-21-2011, 07:53 PM)BlueFury Wrote: the best idea for making a good story is watching some good old horror films
Films really don't translate well into games... but there are certainly many good ideas in films. Just try to avoid the plain macabre movies and focus on those that really give you strong feelings (other than disgust).

To add to Tans's list, you must absolutely play "Clive Barker's Undying". It makes me shudder only when I think of it. It was created with the help of the famous writer and is very atmospheric for it's time. It conveys many diverse aspects of horror. Seriously, it's an experience you should not miss.

A very good inspiration can be found in literature, in writers such as: H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allan Poe, Ambrose Bierce, Clive Barker, Stephen King. We can see their influence everywhere, Amnesia has lovecraftian elements to it.
06-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Find
GetAgrippa Offline

Threads: 2

@Googolplex thanks, its nice to see other people cherish that game as a classic like me. You're right, we should be freinds. Smile Indiana Jones FTW!

If Fate frowns, we all perish.
06-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Find