Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animations and Particles
Fnoigy Offline

Threads: 4
Animations and Particles

Hey everyone

So I'm at the tail end of making a custom story. To really make a certain event happen, I had to muck around and create a new particle entity that makes a better explosion. I can place it and see it in the editor, and I can see it if I save it in a map right in front of the spawn location, but I can't seem to make the script create it. I have the file (ps_boom.ps) in a "Particles" folder in my custom story folder, which seems to be where it's supposed to go. Any idea what I'm missing? I'm worried this will make some problems for the couple of other custom entities I'm including.

Also, I'm trying to get ol' ripped-face to play his slashing animation after he reaches a patrol node, but I can't seem to make him obey the animation part. For example, I have the code:
AddEnemyPatrolNode("servant_grunt_1", "PathNodeArea_20", 10.0f, "SwingClaws01");

He will go to the right node, he'll pause for the assigned 10 seconds, but he won't play the animation, not that one or any other I've specified. I even copied a code from the main game files that included the animation part, and still no dice. What am I doing wrong here?
06-24-2011, 02:03 AM
Find
Kyle Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 36
RE: Animations and Particles

To your first question, do you want the particle system to happen when you want it to with using scripting?

Spoiler below!

void CreateParticleSystemAtEntity(string& asPSName, string& asPSFile, string& asEntity, bool abSavePS);Creates a particle system on an entity.

asPSName - internal name
asPSFile - the particle system to use + extension .ps
asEntity - the entity to create the particle system at
abSavePS - determines whether a particle system should “remember” its state

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but if this is, make sure that you don't place the particle effect in the level editor because you can just easily script it in. :/

06-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Find
Fnoigy Offline

Threads: 4

No, I already knew that. The problem is that doesn't seem to be able to create a custom-made particle effect. The only way I CAN get it to is to put the particle effect into the main game directory, but it looks like others have done it while keeping the file in their custom story directory.

In other words, CreateParticleSystemAtEntity("", "ps_boom.ps", "whateverentityichose", false);
doesn't work if I try to keep the particle system in a Particles folder within my custom story directory. Only if I keep the particle system in the main game particle folder, which I swear isn't supposed to be necessary.
(This post was last modified: 06-24-2011, 02:56 AM by Fnoigy.)
06-24-2011, 02:53 AM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

I've always had to put them in the main directory, the editor doesn't recognize them otherwise (or the game). Maybe you can, but I'm not sure how other than redirecting resources folders in resources.cfg.
06-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Find