Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Timers Engine Can Handle?
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17
How Many Timers Engine Can Handle?

Hi all;
I recently switched all of my works to Linux, to use the editors in a more efficient way (I got bored of Windows actually), and then while my roommate was playing a level, I noticed there's a huge fps slowdown. It was like 7 FPS. I tried it on Windows and it was nearly same.

I noticed that if I comment out some timer codes, game works fluently again... My code involved 18 different timer with each 0.1 calling time over and over. Means 360 timer calls in one second. How many call engine can handle?

TL;DR: How many timers can I use in one second?

07-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Website Find
Synatic Offline

Threads: 2
RE: How Many Timers Engine Can Handle?

I think the engine is not limitted in those regards, it's mostly a question of your PC, isn't it?
Once again to mention i've no exact facts on this field, just speaking out of my logic :X
07-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Find
MrBigzy Offline

Threads: 18

What did the timers do? In one of my maps I has a specific area that called like 10 timers at once and it would always freeze for a second (the timers make a sound play, among other stuff). But when I added the preload for sounds, the spike was gone.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM by MrBigzy.)
07-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

It does one thing, then it calls another timer to undo what it did, then it calls same timer, over and over...

I'll have a workaround to overcome the slowdown, an optimization, but I need to know what's the fluent limit? If there is one Tongue

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2011, 03:42 PM by Tanshaydar.)
07-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Website Find