Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Moved to Showcase - Teamnesia Marathon
xtron Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Teamnesia Marathon

The "reach safe room like l4d" is a great idea. +1

[Image: 44917299.jpg]Dubstep <3
08-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Find
Homicide13 Offline

Threads: 41

You could just have the creator of the map automatically set the amount of oil/tinderboxes in each level, or just wipe it compleatly. I am personally experementing with making levels without a lantern, as it forces a different type of gameplay, so if I made a level for this I would proabablly disable the lantern alltogeather.

08-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Find
Mooserider Offline

Threads: 11

This is such a sick idea Big Grin If I was able to make a map in time I'd be happy to/ want to be first Tongue
Also I agree with Apjjm on setting the amount of tinderboxes and oil each map. A L4D sort of safe room would be sick Smile

Working on a FC: "Don't Let Go "
08-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

This idea sounds just amazing, if you ask me. Provided everybody plays by the rules, this could turn out to be a great experience for the player. The combined efforts of this forum could produce quite an amazing playthrough.
08-17-2011, 12:43 AM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12

I like the idea of a "hub" map. I'll get right on making one, as well. Basically it'll just be a large room with many doors, each leading to one of the community-provided maps. The "victory condition" of the individual works could send you back to the hub, or else a few maps in a row could be strung out behind each door, with the last one sending the player back to the hub.

Now that I think of it, that sounds kinda like Mario64 with all the various rooms. Maybe I'll make it a castle... :3

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
08-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

This is actually a pretty neat idea. I don't see how custom textures / sounds would be a problem. We would just zip them in a folder with the map, and you would place them in whatever the Custom Story's folder is named. All of the references to the textures are made in-map.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
08-17-2011, 03:58 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

I'm actually very pleased with the feedback on this. And on second thought I like the hub map idea. This way there's a lot of freedom for the player and there can also be some motive or goal to accomplish while proceeding through the chains the hub connects to.

I'll start drawing up my map as well Smile

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2011, 04:54 AM by palistov.)
08-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Find
Phoroneus Offline

Threads: 12

Hub is halfway done. It has level doors and such, just needs some interesting stuff to look at while walking from one door to the next. Completing maps should load the hub map, named "teamnesia_hub.map", when they're finished (so the player can go on to the next one).

There are a couple tiers of doors, with six on each floor so far. I'm going to add a second room once the first is lighted and ornamented. I suggest a form of locking/unlocking if this really takes off, so that people have to complete all of the first tier of maps before the second tier unlocks. There is plenty of room to add doors to each tier, if more than half a dozen maps are made at a time. The door to the second room can also be locked as needed.

I ended up using a custom cubemap since the first room is outdoors. It's listed in the cubemap thread in the showcase (NightSky1), and I'll include it with the .zip file when I send it to palistov.
Actually, for a tiered system we might also set up a thalers system, where the player can accumulate coins (the money bag items) as they make their way through levels, with a certain amount awarded for completing the map, which are then used to unlock the higher-tier maps. This way, each person can make more than one map, but each tier will only have one map per person.
Might I also suggest setting up a ModDB page for this. It'll be cool to see what others are creating, and possibly easier to organize our files if they're all in one place.

[Image: at_9365860.png]

Follow Harvest.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM by Phoroneus.)
08-17-2011, 06:18 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67

Some fantastic ideas there Phoroneus I'll make note of them. Make sure you make your own mini-map to link to the hub, and thanks for creating the hub too! Sounds like this project could really go places Smile

08-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

I would like to join in on this, if custom models is accepted. My other project isn't going to show for a while - and this is a great way to advertise each modder here (as well as the opportunity to show some work). We have quite a few maps up here today and I think that it can become confusing for newer users to know which mapmaker create stories suited for them.

I see that you have solved the hub level in a cleaver way! Smile While reading through the thread I thought of something like "completing a map gives the player a piece of a puzzle which he physically lays out until it becomes a picture; perhaps some fan-art with each of the mapmakers signature on it".

Everyone has their own vision of this. I think it that trying to tie this project to a strong story would defeat its main advantage: the uniqueness of each map. Instead make the player experience several high-quality maps in sense of scripting, exterior and scare events. As everyone can focus on a single map it would probably come out pretty well done.

Creating a map to fit in story-wise would put a damper on creativity. Instead I suggest that each map presents some sort of smaller story.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

08-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Find