Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game freezes in the Archives
Flodda Offline

Threads: 6
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Game freezes in the Archives

Hi,

I have a ATI Mobility Radeon X600 and used the Mobility Modder to get newer Catalyst-Drivers. Before that the game didn't even start. Now the Game works after installing the Patch but when I get to the Archives it always freezes and crashes the PC completely.

It happens seemingly random, mostly around the point where theres a hole in the wall and you go through it. But sometimes it happens before that, I think it happens between the flashback-thingy where Alexander talks about the crumbling of the castle or something and the part where you enter this room through the hole or slightly after that, can't notice anything special happening that could cause it...

I tried everything the troubleshooting-guide suggested but it still happens. Is this a known issue?

Regards,
Flodda
09-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Find
Flodda Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game freezes in the Archives

Ok, now I tried to play in window-mode, then the game got stuck but it didn't crash my system, instead it produced the following error in the black box:

Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION ACCESS VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 001B:00469306

Any idea what that means?
09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184

It is most likely just a matter of bad drivers I am afraid. X-series card below 1000 might work, but you need to check A.1 and follow directions to do a clean driver install:
http://frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-3754.html
09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Find
Flodda Offline

ah, ok, I think I installed the driver without deleting the old one. I'll try it again the right way. Thanks!

Could it also be sensible to install an older Catalyst-Driver or is the newest always the best choice?
09-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

I am afraid that it can be both ways. Sometimes new drivers bring new problems and sometimes they fix stuff.

However, generally, newer driver = better.

So keep the drivers updated!
09-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Find
Flodda Offline

ok, now I reinstalled the driver after deleting the old one. Still the same problem, though it seems the game wouldn't crash as often as before.

I have also another Problem, if I go to the hall that leads to the study room, the guest room and a few other locations, the graphics get really weird, it's like I see everything double in a weird ghostly way, I will make a screenshot later.
But that only occurs at this location (so far), though it stays this way when I enter another location, I have to reset the game then, the graphics are fine then. Any idea about that?

I think I try installing an older driver.

Another related question, how do you give the Amnesia.exe write permissions? Can't find anything in the Preferences except write-protection, but thats not the same, is it?

Are you planning to release a patch for ati-x cards lower that 1000 in the future?
09-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Find
bugmenot Offline

Threads: 21

Should maybe have read the system requirements..?
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Find
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Tried omega drivers?
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Quote:Are you planning to release a patch for ati-x cards lower that 1000 in the future?
I will be looking into it, I have a X850 card lying here, but it refuses to start. Might have to look for another one as that might be damaged. I am not sure that it can be fixed though.
Visual errors: probably
Crashes: unlikely (unless I can easily reproduce them myself)
09-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Find
Flodda Offline

(09-30-2010, 09:36 AM)Thomas Wrote: Tried omega drivers?
http://www.omegadrivers.net/

Quote:Are you planning to release a patch for ati-x cards lower that 1000 in the future?
I will be looking into it, I have a X850 card lying here, but it refuses to start. Might have to look for another one as that might be damaged. I am not sure that it can be fixed though.
Visual errors: probably
Crashes: unlikely (unless I can easily reproduce them myself)

okay, will try the drivers you mentioned.
Maybe my graphics card is just too old, but I thought then the game wouldn't work at all or crash at a specific point.
Though the fact that the game crashes now and then wouldn't be too bad, if the game would simply return to windows or could be shut down via task manager.
The problem is that it crashes the whole PC, so I have to reset and I don't think thats very healthy for my PC...

But no matter, I'll try that other driver and if it doesn't work, I'll either live with the crashes or maybe it's time for a new PC ^^

Thanks for your help!
09-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Find
Flodda Offline

hey, cool the Omega Drivers seem to fix the problem with the crashes, graphical issues still remain but they aren't such a big issue.

Game is getting pretty scary though *shudder* Big Grin
09-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Find