Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: AAMFP - lantern or flashlight?

(08-10-2012, 07:43 PM)darkely Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 07:34 PM)the dark side Wrote: personal attacks, the curse of the internet.. save it for twitter people!
Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black?!

Probably! but with me its usually because ive over-stressed and Blown up! its not from any genuine malice. that is what makes the difference for me. its when its from genuine malice it is intolerable, when its from someone who has blown up, well, its something that happens, anger is not known for breeding civility after all.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 07:51 PM by the dark side.)
08-10-2012, 07:49 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

So your incompetence to preserve oil is vindication for change? There were a ample number of problems with the glowstick -- it's infinite illumination and effectiveness put the game's balance off-scale, the result was a lack of difficulty. Rare was an instance of use for the flashlight.
[/quote]

Personal attacks? really?!

Penumbra was fine as it was - the flashlight was a little bit better then the glowstick at least that's the way I remember it. The glowstick was not as good as you make it out to be - for instance you have to get a lot closer to see things with it then the flashlight.
[/quote]

That was not a "personal attack". What I said was the truth. I have played the main campaign multiple times and I can say for a fact that most of the maps can be played through without depleting your lantern, and when you do run out, please remember that perhaps the game doesn't intend for you to maintain a comfort zone. What I would find myself doing would be entering a room, stand at the doorway while taking a quick peek around to find a candle or other light source, turning off my lantern and making my way to the designated "safety station" before lighting it up and staying momentarily to recover any lost sanity. What would be next is usually either a quick or thorough sweep of my surroundings for whatever I may need, then I'd move on.

Getting closer to an object to see it does not fill in the balance gap that the glowstick's perennial capabilities creates! If there's a choice between wasting what would be vital resources, or just walking a few more steps, which do you think people are going to pick?
08-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(08-10-2012, 07:54 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: That was not a "personal attack". What I said was the truth. I have played the main campaign multiple times and I can say for a fact that most of the maps can be played through without depleting your lantern, and when you do run out, please remember that perhaps the game doesn't intend for you to maintain a comfort zone. What I would find myself doing would be entering a room, stand at the doorway while taking a quick peek around to find a candle or other light source, turning off my lantern and making my way to the designated "safety station" before lighting it up and staying momentarily to recover any lost sanity. What would be next is usually either a quick or thorough sweep of my surroundings for whatever I may need, then I'd move on.

Getting closer to an object to see it does not fill in the balance gap that the glowstick's perennial capabilities creates! If there's a choice between wasting what would be vital resources, or just walking a few more steps, which do you think people are going to pick?

That's just it I don't have to pick - I think the game locks the items in any way. As for the flashlight it is good if you need to find something fast (like I said it has a better range). If there is a monster you don't always have that option to walk a few extra steps.

08-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(08-10-2012, 08:00 PM)darkely Wrote:
(08-10-2012, 07:54 PM)failedALIAS Wrote: That was not a "personal attack". What I said was the truth. I have played the main campaign multiple times and I can say for a fact that most of the maps can be played through without depleting your lantern, and when you do run out, please remember that perhaps the game doesn't intend for you to maintain a comfort zone. What I would find myself doing would be entering a room, stand at the doorway while taking a quick peek around to find a candle or other light source, turning off my lantern and making my way to the designated "safety station" before lighting it up and staying momentarily to recover any lost sanity. What would be next is usually either a quick or thorough sweep of my surroundings for whatever I may need, then I'd move on.

That's just it I don't have to pick - I think the game locks the items in any way. As for the flashlight it is good if you need to find something fast (like I said it has a better range). If there is a monster you don't always have that option to walk a few extra steps.
Well my good friend, I believe that the best course of action to take in the event of a monster is what it's always been; turn off ALL lights, and hide like a sniveling shit (My most common course of action!). You usually don't need to find anything fast unless, of course, you're in the monster situation; then all you have to do is what I just said, and perhaps while doing so, think about a solution to the vital predicament you're in.
08-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(08-10-2012, 07:34 PM)the dark side Wrote: just because frictional had the art removed from all the places it was posted on, does not mean it never existed.
Protip: Google(image search) "Amnesia a machine for pigs valve arg". Wink The weird thing about this is that it was never part of any ARG... or was it? What are you hiding, FG?
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 08:19 PM by Deep One.)
08-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Thanks for the tip, but...I can't. I just can't do it. I typed it in but as soon as I saw the thumbnails, I closed the tab again without clicking on anything. There was something that looked vaguely like Monster concepts and I've decided I really want to try and not know what they look like before I play the game. It'll make it so much scarier...
Quote: You usually don't need to find anything fast unless, of course, you're in the monster situation; then all you have to do is what I just said, and perhaps while doing so, think about a solution to the vital predicament you're in.
Hm...what if you'd have a scene like the Malo chase in Justine only in complete darkness? So you have to quickly find valves or whatnot in the dark, all while you hear something approach from behind. That could work pretty well.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 08:30 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
08-10-2012, 08:30 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(08-10-2012, 08:30 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Thanks for the tip, but...I can't. I just can't do it. I typed it in but as soon as I saw the thumbnails, I closed the tab again without clicking on anything. There was something that looked vaguely like Monster concepts and I've decided I really want to try and not know what they look like before I play the game. It'll make it so much scarier...
Quote: You usually don't need to find anything fast unless, of course, you're in the monster situation; then all you have to do is what I just said, and perhaps while doing so, think about a solution to the vital predicament you're in.
Hm...what if you'd have a scene like the Malo chase in Justine only in complete darkness? So you have to quickly find valves or whatnot in the dark, all while you hear something approach from behind. That could work pretty well.
[Image: 3ww6.jpg]
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-10-2012, 07:34 PM)the dark side Wrote: there was leaked concept art from a Frictional/Chineseroom game on the web a while ago, wich many people assumed was from AMFP, but was latter confirmed in this very thread by one of the moderators that it was from the "other, unnanounced project". the leaked art has since been obliterated from the web.

i personally saw it on Gamespot. (i Refuse to use "IGN" as i think they are the biggest bunch of trolls this side of ankh morpork, for me, i use, exclusively, "Gamespot" for news, "The Cynical Brit" and "Arstechnica" for reviews and "the Escapist" when i want to laugh my backside off at "Zero Punctuation")

just because frictional had the art removed from all the places it was posted on, does not mean it never existed. above all, calling people trolls for no reason is not only extremely trollish behavior, its also "Slander". all you do by calling everyone who saw the leaked art before it was removed "a troll" is undermine your own point, raise everyones hackles, and make yourself look like a troll.

personal attacks, the curse of the internet.. save it for twitter people!
Whoah, I think you were taking me too seriously, I never really meant what I said by calling them trolls. I was just kidding around. I'm sorry if I offended anyone, that was not intended. How long ago did this concept art appear? :/

The image looked something like, an underwater base, and mechanical monsters that looked somewhat like Bioshock?

If it really isn't supposed be on the internet, Googol's post should be deleted because that's where I found it

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2012, 09:52 PM by Damascus Rose.)
08-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

Dan's talk at the GDC:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1015529/Dea...g-an-Indie
08-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

Thanks for posting that. Always interesting to see his talks.

He's one of my favorite people in the industry right now. Really can't wait to see how Pigs and Rapture turn out.
08-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Find