Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you?
Toothbrush Offline

Threads: 1
RE: What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you?

Discovering ATTD was actually a very happy moment for myself.
It felt like having an emotional flashback to the eighties again.

ATTD made me feel the same deep disturbance/fear i had when i saw the Shining in 1981 on our neighbor's VHSplayer.
I was 7yrs "old" at that time, and had never witnessed anything scarry/unsettling like that before.

I had witnessed my neighbor butchering chickens at age 4, which didnt scare me at all.
I did feel sorry for the chickens though and shall never forget their screaming when he pulled one out of the cage to be decapitated.
For some unknown reason he did this in a very brute way, he jammed the chickens head under the sole of his wooden shoe and then just stepped on it while pulling back the body with a fierce pull.

The grandpa of a friend of mine used to put the chicken's head between a sheddoor opening and then just slammed the door very hard ; which resulted in a headless chickenbody running around a bit before it ended it's final twitching.

The whole chickenbutchering thing was just fascinating to me, since he explained bit by bit which part he was cutting off the chicken's corpse and explained how organs work/are connected, so that was basicly just my first biology lessons i guess.

Therefor blood and guts dont do the trick of making me scared in horrormovies/books/games at all, ive seen that at probably too early stage in life, and got sorta immune to it.
Which can be practical in case of a bloody accident in which the victims can still be saved by reanimating and such.

Oops, im drifting off now, back to "the Shining."

The tension that builds up through the surreal scenes in that movie just had me pretty disturbed and scared while watching it.
Basicly the fear of "what comes next....what lurks at the end of that hallway,......whats that sound behind that door", etc
Logically at that age i didnt fully understand the story at all, but just loved the feeling it gave me.

A feeling i've been trying to re witness ever since, some other books and movies came pretty close to it, but once i ran into ATTD, i got that same "fear" again.

And besides that discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games has given me a lotta good times playing their games, and got me discovering TCR and Dear Esther also, which for me was one of the most immersive games ever played.

Probably gonna try some ATTD custom stories also, curious of what some of you have been making.
Wish i could have a go also, but got other stuff to create which absorbs most of my time...probably lacking the knowledge and patience also for it seems to me its quite a time absorbing thing to make those....

correct me if i'm wrong please! Smile
11-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: What has discovering Amnesia/Frictional Games done for you? - by Toothbrush - 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM