Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How much violence is OK for a video game?
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: How much violence is OK for a video game?

As long as you dress up a game with pretty bullshit storytelling and a mediocre of explanation of why your justified to slaughter everything, then it's fine.

But have a have another game with the same thing except its more Political Incorrect and your in for trouble.

Rant over Tomb Raider (2013 Edition)

Spoiler below!
This game really annoys me as it's the story of a sweet innocent, naive, delusional girl who goes on a massive killing spree.

Sure, the game tries to justify by making the 2,000+ only male (Plus the strange Storm Guard) inhabitants only interested in murdering the very few people they get a couple times of the year, including the woman and while looking deranged and grimy.

But other than that, you are just one unstoppable killing machine.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. Replaying it every 6 months has been enjoyable and as a standard shooter up, killing simulator. It works perfectly as a game distraction for a couple of days.

But role-playing as a female lead character, who is young and naive. Killing your first animal then human and crying for 10 seconds before pretending that none of it even mattered is just pure narrative garbage.

You're never given the choice to avoid or subdue enemies (Which I like a lot in Metro: Last Light). It could be possible to avoid a small fraction of some of them, but every level is built like a Corridor and heavily promotes you killing them, and has plenty of send 30+ guys towards Lara to be slaughtered segments.

You never once see a single person on Lara Croft's personal Hunting Ground Island who has any sense of morality or goodness (Not including those who came with her). Not even someone who ran away and has been hiding from the evil-doers to interact with.
12-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much violence is OK for a video game? - by Rapture - 12-17-2014, 06:17 PM