Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

An Exit Screen With No Pause In Horror Games
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: An Exit Screen With No Pause In Horror Games

There are games where I don't use the pause button at all. That is for speedrunning though (unless I am required to 'pause' the game to open a menu).

There's really not much of a benefit to removing the capability to pause. Someone gets a phone call, has to go to the toilet, needs to eat dinner.. There's a couple of reasons why you need to be able to pause a game, but I have yet to see a reason of why you should not be able to pause the game.

I mean, as you said Koopa, it kills the immersion and people can use it to calm down. Rightfully so, the game isn't meant to jumpscare you, it's meant to ease you into the scares, keep you on edge (at least, in Amnesia's base game). While I'm on edge, the last thing I even consider is the pause button because I'm too busy running. That may be just me, but I'll only pause the game if I need a breather after a ridiculous jump scare.

And I wouldn't have the options on the screen. Amnesia itself already has a very limited Heads Up Display. The HUD is really just messages, the centre dot, how you can interact with an object and your lantern. Having the pause menu options in say, the top right corner, say I'm looking up some stairs that fade into the top right, I need to look around some text to see if something is up there.

Maybe, Escape hides/shows the options in the top right. But would you navigate with the arrow keys or WASD? What if a monster appears. How will you run?

Same with the mouse. How would you look around to make sure a monster appears if the game keeps running and pressing escape changes from "look" to a "pointer".

I see little benefit in disabling pause over keeping it, but that's just a theory.
A GAAAMMEEE THEORY.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
06-06-2015, 05:10 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: An Exit Screen With No Pause In Horror Games - by Romulator - 06-06-2015, 05:10 AM