Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Actual surround sound - Devs, please help
NeatNit Offline

Threads: 4
Solved: 8 Years, 2 Months, 1 Week ago RE: Actual surround sound

No... Not at all. It's all about the engine (and it's understandable that it doesn't support surround). It has nothing to do with the recording of the sounds and voices.

For example, I dropped a crate. If I dropped it in front of me, the sound should go to the center channel. If it's behind me, the sound should come out from both rear-left and rear-right (there is no center rear). If the crate dropped in front of me but to the left, the sound goes to the front-left channel. Same goes to any sound or voice in the game - all the engine has to do is decide where the sound is coming from in relation to where I'm facing, and point the sound to the appropriate channel.

Right now it only does it with stereo. If you have a headset, try this - drop a box in front of you, behind you, to your left or to your right. You'll hear where the noise is coming from (behind and in front of you will sound the same though).

All that needs to be changes is the engine, and I really hope Frictional Games do this soon.
11-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Actual surround sound - by Spooder Wekd - 11-02-2010, 12:59 AM
RE: Actual surround sound - by NeatNit - 11-02-2010, 01:23 AM
RE: Actual surround sound - by Spooder Wekd - 11-02-2010, 03:52 AM
RE: Actual surround sound - by NeatNit - 11-02-2010, 02:38 PM
RE: Actual surround sound - by Spooder Wekd - 11-02-2010, 05:49 PM