The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 906 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.2.24-0ubuntu0.18.04.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 906 errorHandler->error

Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some game limitations seem too artificial
texter Offline

Threads: 1
Some game limitations seem too artificial

First of, I'd like to congratulate the dev team with brilliant work done, and well-deserved success. Thumbs up!

My point is (having long-time gaming background) that the main character (Daniel) is way too limited in his actions to the point he is perceived as literally lame (plus he faints too often, and has problem standing on his feet). I think you slightly went off balance mechanics-wise, having imposed constraints TOO severe (and at times absurdly artificial in the existing premise) for this kind of gameplay to be 100% engaging.

Some limitations in the game are so artificial they border on absurdity. That concerns the character's inability to carry around light sources, like candles and torches (while other objects CAN be effectively carried around), and his inability (or unwillingness) to at least TRY fighting.

I think you should have at least given the player a possibility to fend off monsters, at least to give it a try. Simply to say 'resistance is futile' does not justify his inability to pick up a torch or a stick and wave it in front of the foe's nose, no matter how scared you think the character should be of that monster. Because you think that, not the player.

You shold give him a chance to fight, while limiting his chances to succeed, rather than force him (completely artificially in this case) to abandon all hope.

I mean, it's not a point'n'click adventure game, right? If you introduce physics in the game, and the player CAN throw objects around, why in the world can he not use them to fend off monsters that are attacking him? Okay, you say "Daniel is too scared to fight". Excuse me, I'm not Daniel, and I may be scared just a tad less. And since I can force Daniel's feet to walk and his hands to pick and throw objects, why can't I force him to try and attack something with those objects?

And while we're at it, if there are lit candles on the table, WHY can I not pick them up and light the way? That's blatantly artificial, if you ask me. The same goes for a full can of oil that burns out in like - what, 3 minutes? Rolleyes Come on. You can do better than that.

Just wanted to make my point.

Cheers, and respect. Cool
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM by texter.)
01-23-2011, 01:19 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Some game limitations seem too artificial - by texter - 01-23-2011, 01:19 PM