Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.

hey kman, and thanks, i am sorry if i got the wrong end of the "stick" with the COD thing, i hadnt found the anti COD thread at the time, i should mention i frequenlty get the wrong end of the stick, so i must ask all users, if i take something wrong, please, bear with it and tell me very simply what was meant!

granted my ideas are very far out there, the danger of a lack of understanding,an overheated imagination, and an autism skewered viewpoint on life, is crazy ideas! still, when did crazy game ideas harm anyone, most people thaught kazunuri yamiuchi was "far out" and "crazy" with gran Turismo... 60 million sales later, its even got its own team in the les mans 24 hours...

being clumsy and unable to run away from dangers is horrific, beleive me, i know!, it may be why i dont find amnesia all that scary, because, i experienced a school life of pure, inescapable (due to clumsiness making running nigh on impossible!) pshycological Horror that caused more than one nervous breakdown... id consider a game that used psycological horror, clumsiness and human enemies to be very very scary as it would tie in to my own personal past experiences of Real Life Horror.

i know Googolplex reads like a troll, but he isnt one, its just english is not his first lanquage, so there is probably a lanquage barrier issue at work there, as i said, if i tried typing this in swedish, id probably look the biggest troll this side of a fantasy novel.

yes, i will openly admit i can be very narrow minded a full bore "herbert". i, due to aspergers, have a very basic logic, that is "if it is not X it must be Y and Y sucks"

i have a real reason for hating cod, not only because i find it boring and overdone, but because publishers are attracted to the easy profits of cloning it, they are not only accelerating another games crash (although i feel it is necessary to get rid of COD-Cloning and casual gaming, before long we will have games that are 100% QTE again...i feel sad about all the developers who will loose there jobs, many dont choose to make COD clones, many would rather make an old school shooter like SSIII, they are forced by the publishers marketing board on pain of studio closure to make Cod Clones) but its also meant i cannot get any publisher interest in my own IP, despite some mild developer interest, because they only want to make fast buck COD clones, and the copywrite lease on my IP (i will only lease the copywrite, so i keep full 100% controll of it, they cant stab me in the back and make it a cod clone game with a cia main star instead of the old school FPS with an MI6 main star i have envisioned) expressly forbids pretty much every single COD mechanic as a "forced element". its stopping me from sharing my creativity from the world, as sadly, a kickstarter budget just wont be enough to sustain the game, it needs an AAA budget or it will run out of money! beleive me, i got an accountant to do the sums, and they sadly didnt add up.

i know many older games had COD elements, some of my favourites even have the one i hate most, Dynamic Scaling "Expanding Crosshairs", and QTE started on PS1 if i remember rightly. but, many of those elements could be turned "off". take Solider of Fortune 2 as example (seems many of this forums users love that game as well as me). you could have it with COD Style expanding 'hairs, ot you could go to options, Crosshairs, Recoil simulation, "Off". and have old school fixed ones, i liked that,. the choice, player agency, you wernt forced to use them, unlike most modern games.

its like how some old shooters had a mild regen on the bottom 25% health to make it easier for new players, but, it could be turned off in the options.

one of my fave games of all time is "Borderlands" from gearbox as it had total player agency, you could have total regen health, semi regen and medkits, or just medkits, you could have fixed or dynamic hairs, zoom aim or ADS, 2 gun limit, 4 gun quick select and a handy claptrap, or a no limit wheel, All via options, no "mod" needed!.

i think that is why it did so well in sales, as it appelead to all gamers, the mainstream could set it up for a cod like experience, and the hardcore could set it up for straight up DOOM.

i wish more games would do that, as it would mean more sales, and No one would be denied the kind of game they want.

i mean, why "Force" players, in the case of amnesia to use regen, i mean, the game has laudanum...

Frictional, ive just had an idea, if you want to use it, i would be honoured!

Laudnanum offers an instant boost to full health, like an old school medikit, i wonder, would it be possible, in a later project, to offer an option in menu, kind of like the old "dynamic scaling" option. the option to turn the Regenerating health Off. leaving you restricted to laudanum.

you could easily double the sales, the fact the regen defaults to on means it wont be too hard for the mainstream player, but the fact it can be turned off means the hardcore wont feel "squashed for the sake of kids" and will be more willing to purchase the game from steam.

just an idea to get more sales. that is what the games industry is about after all.
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM by the dark side.)
07-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games. - by the dark side - 07-26-2012, 08:17 PM