Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games.

Hello.
My friend was reading here because we are interested in horror games that are not made for the casual mainstream. So he asked me to post this. In relation to the general topic.

"ok, so you wanted to appeal to the mainstream, ok, i understand that, you are a small company, you need as much money as you can get, so as to become bigger (although, you can still actually more than do that by appealling purely to hardcore, Just look at how well serious sam 3 did, ok, its not a horor game in any way shape or form, its a straight up "dumb" FPS from the DOOM school, but its still one of "Steam's" biggest sellers, and its totally hardcore, so again, whats your excuse for treating the hardcore like second class citizens?) but, did you really have to Spit in the face of the hardcore players and treat us like second class citizens just like virtually every other company? its why we get so mentally angry with the mainstream, we are getting supressed! no one likes that!

Imagine being told that "all racing games from now on will copy gran turismo", but you dont really like simulators, and if you tried to complain about it, because you feel like you are being "thrown out" of your own hobby, everyone just caleld you "an outdated hippy" how would you feel, Pretty darn opressed i imagine, well, thats what its like for those of uus who hate the "call of duty" isation of every game out there, we feel we are beign supressed, especially when our complaints are just dismissed with a "fucking hipster" comment. we fell ike we arwe getting supressed and thrown out, its why we get Angry, try seeing thigns trough our eyes for once instead of just calling us "hipsters" like we were just trailer park trash.

on the regen health issue, and how to cure it without winding one or the other side of the great gaming devide up.

look you have laudanum in the game yes? wich gives an instant boost back to fuill health. like an old school medpack. well, I remember when "dynamic scaling" was first introduced into FPS (its pertinant, as regen health is also an FPS mechanic that has made it over to horror).. "expanding crosshairs" as they are also known, some people liked them, because it offered a more realistic weapomns handling experience, a lot of people didn't like them however, as the blurriness of those early Expansion animations made a lot of people nauseous, so games develoeprs programmed the option to turn the dynamic scaling off.

well, how hard would it have been for you to programme into the game, or, as ill let you have this one idea gratis, as you have talent at frictional and i want you to succeed, future games, an option to turn the auto regen off?

that way, the mainstram, who prefer regen health, still have it, as it defaults to on, but, those hardcore gamers who hate the mechanic can just go to "options-health-Auto Regen-Off", disable the auto regen, and will be limited top healing via laudanum. that way. you would appeal to both the mainstream and the hardcore, treating neither as a second class citizen by sayiong "yopu Have to use regen health", or "you have to use medkits", the player can choose what health system the want. i doubt it would take more than 10 minuites to programme that option, and as you wont be supressing either casual/m,ainstream or hardcore players, you could possibly even double the sames from having that option.

(i do understand the games industry, i dont like the way its gone again (this is the second casual era), no, but, from what i can see, there is a massive "1983 part 2" games crash on the way in that is going to get rid of the COD loving casual mainstream soon anyway, so i can bide my time, i do have a hardcore Ip i want to get off the ground, no sense in trying to launch it in an era were its not going to be accepted by the mainstream gamer so ill wait for hardcore gaming to become "in voque" again and it will, this is casual era 2, when we have games crash 2, seeing as 1983 was the end of the first casual era, well have hardcore again, its just history repeating itself, gives me time to come up with a few more sequals)

would it be so hard as to programme that, a simple choice of if you want regen, or just the laudanum? i think it would help sales, the mainstream wont feel like they are being over-challenged, the hardcore wont feel like there are being "supressed for the sake of kids" and the player, due to the increased "payer agency" something the games industry is very interested in again, will feel more like they are a part of the game, and will enjoy it far more than they would without that choice."
07-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Diskussion about "regenerative health" in horror games. - by Googolplex - 07-27-2012, 09:15 PM