Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Which game is scarier; Amneisa: The Dark Descent or Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Amneisa: The Dark Descent is scarier.
93.75%
30 93.75%
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is scarier.
6.25%
2 6.25%
Both games are equally as scary.
0%
0 0%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Which game did you find scarier?
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Which game did you find scarier?

(07-24-2012, 05:13 PM)PixelHurricane Wrote: Here's the way I see the concept of guns in horror games.
The gun or weapon gives you a sense of security because you know the moment a monster arrives you can just shoot his face off and lowers the amount of fear goes into the game.
this is why amnesia is better, you KNOW you can only hide. it makes you fear the monster a WHOLE HECK of a lot more.
But with guns, if done right, you don't KNOW you're still safe. This is why I was saying that games with guns can sometimes be even scarier, because you don't know that your gun's reliable. Maybe you'll run out of ammo in combat, maybe you have to reload when you're in a dangerous area. Also if a game relies on guns then the devs aren't required to make sure you can escape from every enemy. My point is, it can add a whole new layer to the game. Sometimes giving the player a choice can make it even more scary, they have to judge the environment and decide how to deal with enemies. With that said though, very few games do this right (Overture came very close in my opinion), so yes I agree in general being left weapoless is better.

Posting Freak
07-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Website Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which game did you find scarier? - by Adny - 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
RE: Which game did you find scarier? - by Kman - 07-24-2012, 12:20 AM
RE: Which game did you find scarier? - by Adny - 07-24-2012, 01:24 AM
RE: Which game did you find scarier? - by Bridge - 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM
RE: Which game did you find scarier? - by Kman - 07-25-2012, 12:16 AM
RE: Which game did you find scarier? - by Ghieri - 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM