Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Famale Charchters in Videogames: The Opposite of "attractive" would it work?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Famale Charchters in Videogames: The Opposite of "attractive" would it work?

Hm... after reading through that character description, I believe it's not her appearance that you have to worry about, it's her personality. I do not mean to insult those real women that your character is based on, but dealing with a person who has character traits like these
Quote: she is very emotionally confused, she is easilly upset by things, such as changes to her routine, wich can send her into a meltdown (a complete loss of all emotional controll) and is incredibly sensative to what people say to her, she has difficulty with empathy for other people, [...] she can often show the wrong emotions to certain stimuli, for example, she might laugh at something everyone else feels sad about. she responds best when someone talks to her in a bright, happy voice, and explains things in detail to her.[...]

she is obsessed with being clean, if any dirt gets on her she will become upset and try to claw it off, and she will start to shake and sob.

her morals are unshakable, and she gets angry and upset when she sees people who do not follow them as she cannot understand how they can live without her morals.
etc.etc.
requires a LOT of patience. I would not have that patience, to be honest, I couldn't stand talking to that person for more than a minute. I think it would be very hard to make that character a likeable NPC, mainly because making an NPC likeable is already very difficult, even if he/she doesn't have any "difficult" character traits like these. It's because in real life you get all these subtle body language cues and whatnot when talking to a person, so you can like someone even if he or she seems to be annoying to deal with at first. In a game you don't have that, you have only the voice acting and some stiff animations.
So unless a huge amount of effort is put into making this character likeable, she will probably end high up on a list of "most annoying character ever".

Also, I'd like to add that I would find a female character who's like this:
Quote: she is incredibly dependant on other people, she is scared of situations she doesnt know, cannot drive, needs help getting dressed, can often forget about her hygine and needs to be reminded as she will have other things, like maths puzzles, on her mind, she is very delicate and sensative, and has a very "girlish" personality, loving things like flowers and animals, and being incredibly sensative, liable to burst into tears at the slightest upset. she is unable to cope without someone to look after her, and she is frightened by this ideal of tough, indipendant women put across by femenist groups, as she cannot cope with being independant, and she is too sensative to be tough, she hates the idea of upsetting anyone, she wants to be nice to everyone, in the way a child does.
a hundred times more offensive and sexistically portrayed than any of those tough females. Yeah, they're kinda annoying, but at least they're not a stereotype from 200 years ago.
Edit:
Seriously, the more I read it... yeah, seeing a female character that weak and girly in a game would send me into a fit of rage. Especially if it's not explained VERY CLEARLY that these character traits are caused by her mental..uh...problems? (sorry, don't know how to say it without being offensive myself!) and NOT by the fact that she's female. Especially since the male character is such a tough guy in contrast to that. You would at the very least need another more "normal" female character to balance it out, or you'd be branded as being sexist asshole of the year (which you are clearly NOT trying to be!).
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012, 08:30 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
12-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Famale Charchters in Videogames: The Opposite of "attractive" would it work? - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 12-15-2012, 08:18 PM