Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Famale Charchters in Videogames: The Opposite of "attractive" would it work?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Famale Charchters in Videogames: The Opposite of "attractive" would it work?

Quote: what if i give her a freind whos also in the typing pool who also has aspergers, who himself has a lover in a female feild operative, and the 2 aspie charachters are shown to have virtually identical charachter traits, despite there genders, with the main difference is the male on is into more boyish things such as steam trains and motorcars,. could that work?
Hm, yeah that could work much better, I guess. It would definitely make things more clear there.

I think in general you should also take this argument into account:
Quote: If you want to create a dramatic, profound game that tries to portray mental illness* and what it's like to have it/know people with it then go ahead, put that character in the game. But if it's just a "normal" game that has a conventional storyline you are not going to be able to casually put a character like that in there.
The thing is, you have to be sure to set the right tone for the game. If people do not expect the game to tackle such issues from reality in a serious manner, they may have trouble understanding those characters.

Most people are used to game characters being kinda "standardized" (heterosexual, no mental illnesses, no major disabilities...) - I mean, that's why you are trying to raise awareness in the first place, right? So you have to make sure they are prepared for those kinds of things.
If they simply expect a nice retro-shooter, they might be confused if the game suddenly starts tackling such issues. I mean even the old games with a good story like Deus Ex never talked about those kinds of things - while being somehow related to real life problems, they always stayed on a somewhat "abstract" level, like propaganda, plagues, class wars... they rarely went for such personal issues is what I'm saying.

Of course the most elegant thing would be to just have the characters in there without any further comment - to emphasize how it's not unusual to meet such people in real life. (Kinda like putting homosexual characters or the like in a game without that being their sole defining trait) But I'm afraid it might not work that easily because not everyone would "get" it... but then again, shoving the issue into the player's face might indeed feel too "propaganda-ish". It's a difficult thing.

Quote:so, err, if gaming is the biggest media today, what is? gaming is certainly a big media in my life, its the only thing that keeps me sane some days!
Yeah, you maybe Wink But in general I'd say television still takes the spot of being the biggest media influence for most people.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
12-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Famale Charchters in Videogames: The Opposite of "attractive" would it work? - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 12-15-2012, 09:00 PM