Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Texture, Model & Animation Help Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem

Quote: //Related but at the same time unrelated questions...

(1) How can I make and/or bake a "spec" map in Blender? I noticed that they tend to be greenish when I looked at examples from the FC models or the web.
Hm...I've never heard of baking specular maps... it doesn't make much sense when you think about it. A spec map is bright where the object is supposed to be shiny and dark where it's supposed to be dull. So how could you bake that? Unlike lighting information, a specular highlight is dependent on the camera position after all.
So you'll have to make it by hand, in Photoshop, either by painting it or by using filters and adjustments on the diffuse for example. (It might however be useful to use a baked heightmap or ambient occlusion map as a starting point for your spec!)

The reason FC's spec maps are greenish instead of black and white is that they are actually a combination of spec and gloss map. Basically, specular tells the object how bright its shiny highlight is, the gloss tells it how soft or harsh the highlight is. (For example brushed metal has high spec, low gloss, a polished billard ball has high spec, high gloss!)
Now to save texture space, FC are putting the spec map in the maps red channel and he gloss map in its green channel. It's quite clever actually! Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem - by Rapture - 03-20-2013, 03:15 AM
RE: Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem - by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - 03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
RE: Blender 2.66a .DAE export problem - by Acies - 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM