Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Does perma death make a game more frightening?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
29 33.33%
No
54.02%
47 54.02%
Don't know
12.64%
11 12.64%
Total 87 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Does Perma Death make a game scarier?
JawlessWarrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Does Perma Death make a game scarier?

Perma death works sometimes. Like others have said, Justine works because it is short enough, and if you do die or need to quit, the puzzles are easy enough to redo and you'll be back to where you were fairly quickly.

For a full game, no. Not at all. The setup would have to be similar to Justine - you can't punish players too much for dying, so the game would have to be done in a way that allows you to go quickly through the puzzles such as in Justine. For a full length game, this would severely hurt replay value. I can go back and enjoy TDD. Justine was more of a one time thing. And to me, the idea of perma death is just frustrating. It doesn't make me more afraid of the monsters, it just makes me crawl through the game incredibly slowly, basically ensuring I don't make any mistakes and get an unexpected scare.

"Splinters of a life rushing by in the whirl - a lone, silent warrior in a fantasy world." - In Flames
06-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Perma Death make a game scarier? - by JawlessWarrior - 06-29-2013, 06:05 PM