Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games

(10-03-2015, 08:35 PM)Science Bird Wrote: I think adding new factors of behaviour is what we need to make future horror game iterations more interesting - not so much ways to "deal" with enemies.

I think we need both. The problem is that programming enemies to make them more human is a lot more difficult than providing environmental features which the human player can use to enhance their experience.

Quote:I don't think the solution is adding new ways to "deal with" monsters. Anything that empowers you takes away from the scaryness.

Hiding in the closet protected you from the enemy in A:TDD but didn't take away from the scariness. This is the point, being able to delay, distract, or hide from the enemy does not detract from the fear.

The fact is SOMA did have a Cthulhu fear equivalent; it had the WAU. It was frightening, it was omnipresent, it was a constant though indirect threat, and the only time you could do anything about it was basically right at the end of the game. And even then its legacy lived on, to endanger you.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 09:28 AM by Fortigurn.)
10-04-2015, 09:26 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games - by Fortigurn - 10-04-2015, 09:26 AM