Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games
bazookatooth Offline

Threads: 0
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games

(10-05-2015, 10:35 PM)Alligator Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 03:52 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I don't have anything against a "combat system" when it is similar to Penumbra Overture.
As long the game don't turn into a "fun competition" it is a nice feature. But I always suggested that the best horror is caused when the player lose his weapons. Then he felt more helpless than if he would never had weapons. So you should be able to kill enemies in some "very special" way for the first 30 % of the game. The other 70 % you should be helpless.

But don't understand me wrong. It should never be fun. Overture also was not fun. So when this combat system works as well as it does in Overture, then it would be very nice!

I think it would be cool if there was a level where the player has to get past let's say 5 monsters and it's possible to find a one-shot flare gun (and no spare flares). The player could use it to kill a monster if he had difficulties sneaking past it, but he would risk alerting other nearby monsters, so using the gun could potentially make his situation even more difficult. Most players would probably save the gun in case a monster starts chasing them or in case they encounter some even scarier monster.

I think that having a one-use weapon like this would be great for the exact reason that Googolplex mentioned: it's scary to use the weapon, because you know that once you've used it, you become completely defenseless.

this was very similar to my thinking....make the player able to defeat monsters in very limited scenarios and with potentially risky consequences
10-06-2015, 02:21 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games - by bazookatooth - 10-06-2015, 02:21 AM