Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games

(01-13-2016, 03:49 AM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Silent Hill and Dead Space exist, but those games would be five times greater if you weren't armed.
I think those games are prefect enough without striping away weapons. No combat/defence worked in games like Amnesia and Penumbra but I hate this over-saturation of having no combat in most recent horror games as a cheap way of making people feel weak. The original Silent Hill(s) and Dead Space made feel weak against endless hordes of monsters by having clunky combat,powerful enemies that will drain your supplies,claustrophobic areas and limited visibility even if you had several weapons in your arsenal.

In general to this thread:

I said this too often enough but No, SOMA had awful monster encounters that were more predictable than The Dark Descent's, seriously they give away some of the gimmicks of an enemy the moment you met them e.g the note in the server room in Theta might well just said "this enemy cant see but only can hear you". They just basically split up the Amnesia monster mechanics in different monsters but some how made it less interesting. You call Dark Descent's monster encounters predictable all you want but atleast it took you several walkthroughs to notice that they were doing the same thing over and over again unlike SOMA were it's monsters were predictable the moment you encounter The Construct at Upsilon which was disappointing since I have read many interviews with FG just before SOMA released saying that monster encounters were going to more unpredictable and like Kein said some enemies start out passive/ non-aggressive towards the player. There is a fine art to monster encounters in horror games, Amnesia's monster encounters had it, SOMA's didn't.

I think there are solutions to juice up the sneak/run/hide gameplay and it's not just adding weapons.
Like some enemies will attack the player in different attack patterns, example one enemy will the classic "Grunt" and one instead of just patrolling, it will stalk the player while using stealth against the player and if close enough the enemy will unleash a fatal blow towards the player.
If you so against having weapons in horror games, how about having means of defence that don't kill enemies but rather stuns/slows them down in their chase e.g The Chaser from Slender: The Arrival cant be killed but can be halted by shining your flash light towards it's face. There are many examples of having defence in a horror game without actually having actual weapons.

I think Sneak/Run/Hide still has potential if given to the proper hands. With good AI programming(Alien:Isolation),a pretty good story reason for it(Among The Sleep) adding new features to it (Alien:Isolation again) and overall try to improve and avoid whatever problems that most horror games have with monster encounters.
01-13-2016, 09:40 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games - by Newsman Waterpaper - 01-13-2016, 09:40 PM