Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games

(01-14-2016, 11:37 PM)Lazoriss Wrote: A sneaky monster would be difficult to program because you'd have to spend a lot of time balancing the encounter. It'd be too easy for it to end up frustrating or tedious, especially if you end up dying a lot.
The problem is that there's always one fanbase that you risk displeasing. On one hand you have the seaoned players who are bored with things that they already know and can easily deal with, and on the other hand we have new players who get frustrated if they die a lot. Some of these players are young outright tards who will run head first into monsters, and then complain about not being able to tackle it or something.
...but there's a way to solve this: Difficulty settings. Most games have them by now.
Granted, some people (like a certain game critic on the internet who shall remain nameless) are so dumb that they think that they're man enough for Hard settings and THEN complain about the game being too tedious "because I just keep dying, so it's no fun" (or that the game is "too dark" after having set the gamma too low, and then REFUSING to adjust the gamma when told) but there's nothing that can be done about those people.

Quote:For an indie game company, that's a lot of effort for a single enemy encounter. Although it might be find having a few memorable and well-done enemies, than just a bunch of short encounters with a mixed bag of monsters.
During the making of SOMA, I think that Frictional Games has outgrown the indie label. They must have hired new story writers and modellers that proved to be super good. They're capable of anything they set their minds to at this point. ...or maybe I just liked SOMA a lot - I dunno.

Quote:One game that does use super sneaky monsters is Monstrum. It's actually a pretty scary and fun maze-ish game. The map is randomized, as well as the monster you get, and they're all pretty well balanced out.
But isn't Monstrum an indie game? That shows that it can be done.

If Frictional Games REALLY wants to program a revolutionary monster, I have an idea based around quantum physics:
Not only make the monster soundless, but make it branch off at every junction, and have it be at the last possible location that it can be in.

Have the unseen ENTITY branch off into two entities representing possibilities, for every junction it enounters, exponentially increasing where the monster COULD be. ...and as the player looks at these places, remove these invisible entities, until only one entity remains.

The effect of this, is that monster will always be approaching you from the corridor that you DIDN'T look down.

...and of course once it sees that you have spotted it, it charges at you. You can outrun it, but once you've lost sight of it, the branching algorithm begins anew...

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2016, 01:34 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
01-15-2016, 01:24 AM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Game Design/Gameplay needed for dealing with Enemies in future games - by Cranky Old Man - 01-15-2016, 01:24 AM