Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thought experiment regarding the endgame
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14
RE: Thought experiment regarding the endgame

(08-04-2016, 10:42 AM)cantremember Wrote: It's a bit iffy because the moment you regain conciousness your mind can't know until you see. You'd go to sleep knowing you will wake up in the seat again (not Simon because he's stupid)
But the copy would also regain conciousness, with his last recollection, or memory rather, being put to sleep, expecting to 'lose' and being surprised he wakes up somewhere else.

Why should you be surprised to wake up on the ARK? No matter what, one copy will wake up on the ARK, and one copy will wake up at Phi; until you open your eyes, you have no reason to believe that you're in one place or the other.

(08-04-2016, 11:26 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Yeah, I would say that it's not a 50/50 chance... but rather a 100/100 chance. 100% loss chance AND 100% win chance, both for the same person... but not for the same entity of that person. For the copy, it's a seamless transition. For the original, it's a perfectly normal continuation of their life.

It depends on how you view probability. Suppose I flip a coin and then cover it with my hand. What's the probability that it's tails? One school of thought would say the probability is 1/2, because there are two equally likely outcomes. Another school of thought would say the probability is either 0 or 1, because the coin has already been flipped.

(08-04-2016, 02:58 PM)CrashHeadroom Wrote: Also one last thing... Simon has a picture of himself walking and standing at a beach in his apartment...the W.A.U.'s first "glitch" was remarked upon to be a dream of someone walking over a beach and it looks like a males foot.

I thought that was Imogen's foot.
08-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thought experiment regarding the endgame - by GhylTarvoke - 08-06-2016, 10:08 PM